Higher Education Administration Admissions
In order to be considered for admission, please complete the appropriate application:
- Application for the Master of Arts in Higher Education Administration
- Application for the Advanced Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Administration
Required Application Materials
The Admissions Committee considers the following required materials from each applicant: personal statement, essay, resume, two letters of recommendation, and official transcripts of undergraduate and/or graduate level coursework. We do not require GRE scores for admission purposes. Receipt of an official transcript showing completion of a bachelor's degree is required before starting graduate classes at Stony Brook.
Professional Experience Requirement
The program accepts students who do not have professional experience in higher education, though the Admissions Committee gives preference to applicants who have some work experience and/or student leadership experience in a higher education setting. For candidates who do not have at least one year of full-time professional experience, please provide details/verification of one or more of the following in a higher education setting: past undergraduate involvement in leadership or co-curricular activities, current full-time or part-time employment, or plans to obtain graduate student employment, internship, or volunteer experience. This information should be included in the applicant's personal statement and/or resume.
In some cases, the Admissions Comittee offers conditional admission to students. Conditional admission is based upon a variety of factors, including the student's GPA, quality of writing, higher education experience, or other concern. Students who are offered conditional admission are required to earn at least a B (3.0) average in the first six credits of Higher Education Administration (HEA) coursework, including HEA 501 — Foundations of Higher Education Administration.
Program of Study Options
All students must be matriculated into one of the Higher Education Administration programs to take classes. There are four program options on the application to select from:
- Face-to-face master's degree: select this option if you wish to enroll in the Master of Arts degree and plan to enroll in most or all face-to-face courses; online courses may also be taken.
- Online Master's degree: select this option if you wish to enroll in the Master of Arts degree and will ONLY enroll in online courses.
- Face-to-face Advanced Graduate Certificate: select this option if you wish to enroll in the certificate and plan to enroll in most or all face-to-face courses; online courses may also be taken.
- Online Advanced Graduate Certificate: select this option if you wish to enroll in the certificate and will ONLY enroll in online courses.
Transfer Credit Information
Transfer credit are available. »View Transfer Credit Requirements
International applicants have additional application requirements and different deadlines. Be sure to read through the information for international students before applying.
The program offers admission for the Fall and Spring terms.
- For Fall admission, the application deadline is March 15.
- For Spring admission, the application deadline is October 1.
International applicants can apply for Fall and Spring only. Review the guidelines and deadlines for International Students.
Once all required application materials are received, the Admissions Committee reviews the applicant's complete file. Decisions are communicated via email from the School of Professional Development to the applicant.
All students are required to attend an orientation webinar. »Details and dates