Higher Education Administration Admissions
In order to be considered for admission, please complete the appropriate application:
- Application for the Master of Arts in Higher Education Administration
- Application for the Advanced Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Administration
Required Application Materials
The Admissions Committee considers the following required materials from each applicant: personal statement, essay, resume, two letters of recommendation, and official transcripts of undergraduate and/or graduate level coursework. We do not require GRE scores for admission purposes. Receipt of an official transcript showing completion of a bachelor's degree is required before starting graduate classes at Stony Brook.
In some cases, the Admissions Comittee offers conditional admission to students. Conditional admission is based upon a variety of factors, including the student's GPA, quality of writing, higher education experience, or other concerns. Students who are offered conditional admission are required to earn at least a B (3.0) average in the first six credits of Higher Education Administration (HEA) coursework, including HEA 501 — Foundations of Higher Education Administration.
Program of Study Options
All students must be matriculated into one of the Higher Education Administration programs to take classes. There are four program options on the application to select from:
- Face-to-face master's degree: select this option if you wish to enroll in the Master of Arts degree and plan to enroll in most or all face-to-face courses; online courses may also be taken.
- Online Master's degree: select this option if you wish to enroll in the Master of Arts degree and will ONLY enroll in online courses.
- Face-to-face Advanced Graduate Certificate: select this option if you wish to enroll in the certificate and plan to enroll in most or all face-to-face courses; online courses may also be taken.
- Online Advanced Graduate Certificate: select this option if you wish to enroll in the certificate and will ONLY enroll in online courses.
Transfer Credit Information
Transfer credit are available. »View Transfer Credit Requirements
International applicants have additional application requirements. Be sure to read through the information for international students before applying.
The program offers admission for the Summer/Fall and Spring terms.
- For Summer/Fall admission, the application deadline has been extended to Friday, March 17 due to weather conditions.
- For Spring admission, the application deadline is October 1.
Students admitted in Summer/Fall have the option to begin their studies in the summer or fall.
Once all required application materials are received, the Admissions Committee reviews the applicant's complete file. Decisions are communicated via email from the School of Professional Development to the applicant.
All students are required to attend an orientation webinar. »Details and dates
As well as two webinars focused on research skills and citation skills.