How To Apply
For Advanced Graduate Certificate Programs Only (excludes Post-master's, Finance and Higher Education Administration programs)
Applications are accepted online via Apply
Yourself. All applicants must provide a valid email address and must be using
a web browser (e.g., Internet Explorer, Firefox or Safari) that is
about the technical requirements, see the Apply
To complete the application process, you will need to
do the following:
- Complete an online orientation and submit the required online Orientation Checklist at the end of the online orientation section, under SIGN OUT.
- Go to the Apply
Yourself website and click on the "Create Account" button.
By creating an account, you will receive a unique ID so you can check
your application status online. You will be given a choice of programs for which to apply.
- Write a personal statement of 750-1000 words that is a reflection of your ability to approach graduate-level work successfully, using creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research. Your statement should address the following:
· What is your purpose in pursuing this degree/certificate?
· How have you prepared yourself for this field of study? (Include any relevant professional experience.)
· Specifically, how will this degree/certificate assist you in advancing both your professional and personal goals?
· Describe your research and study interests and any other aspects of your background, skills, or qualifications that would aid the Admissions Committee in evaluating your motivation for graduate study.
Your personal statement must be your own original work. Submit the statement via Apply Yourself.
- Submit the nonrefundable $100 application fee via credit card. (Instructions are on the Apply
- Arrange to have an official, sealed copy of your transcript sent
to SPD. Mailing address: School of Professional Development,
N-201 Social & Behavioral Sciences, Stony Brook University, Stony
Brook, NY 11794-4310. (Full zip code must be used.) The
transcript must show that you have earned a bachelor's degree with
a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 (if your GPA is lower than 3.0,
please see the note on Conditional Admission, below).
If you earned your bachelor's from Stony Brook, SPD will access your
- Print, fill out, and return Immunization
Under certain circumstances, promising candidates who lack the academic or professional preparation may be considered for conditional admission. » Conditional Admissions Policy
- June 15 for Fall admission.
- October 15 Spring admission.
- March 15 for Summer admission.
School of Professional Development
N 201 Social and Behavioral Sciences Building
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-4310
Tel. (631) 632-7050 (option 1)
of Student Responsibility
Students themselves—whether new, returning, or continuing—are responsible for reviewing, understanding, and adhering to their degree and/or certificate program requirements. (SPD’s Non-matriculating (non-degree) Graduate Students [GSP] are responsible for adhering to the guidelines related to non-matriculated status.) All SPD students are responsible for reviewing, understanding, and complying with University and SPD regulations, policies, and procedures, as described in all official publications, the University website, and the SPD website, including, but not limited to, SPD’s online references, the SPD Bulletin and SPD Academic Calendar.