Getting Started with E-Learning
If you have registered for an online course, here is what you need to do before the semester begins.
1. Read through the FAQs to make sure you understand how online courses work.
2. Make sure that you know how to access your Stony Brook email account. You will need to go into SOLAR and set up your NetID password to use Blackboard and to access your Stony Brook email account.
3. Log into Blackboard prior to the start of the term to access your course and review your course requirements. Courses are available one week before the the term officially begins. Specific directions can be found by clicking on the appropriate link below:
- New Online Student Information page (for those who have never taken an online course at Stony Brook, or who haven't taken one in quite a while)
- Returning Online Student Information page (for those who have taken an online course at Stony Brook)
4. Check the SPD Online Support "course" in Blackboard. A week before the term begins, you will find a "course" called SPD Online Support in Blackboard. This course site contains links to tutorials and a pre-semester checklist that must be completed prior to the first day of the term.
5. Review some quick tutorials on using Blackboard.