Semester by the Sea: Marine Sciences
The program consists of three core courses:
- Long Island Marine Habitats (MAR-S 303, 4 credits): A field course emphasizing the flora, fauna, and marine ecosystems of Eastern Long Island.
- Maritime Traditions of New England (MAR-S 356, 3 credits): A DEC K humanities course emphasizing the evolution of maritime culture and traditions in New York and New England.
- Coastal Culture Experience (MAR-S 355, 2 credits): A course which complements the Maritime Traditions course by offering students extended trips across southern New York to locations which have shaped maritime culture in the region.
Students in the program can select two elective courses from the normal offerings at SBS:
- Marine Mammals (MAR-S 370, 3 credits)
- Physical Oceanography(MAR-S 352, 3 credits)
- Experimental Marine Biology (MAR-S 305, 3 credits)
- Ichthyology (MAR-S 380, 3 credits)
- Introduction to Ocean Chemistry (MAR-S 351, 3 credits)