2014 Southampton Writers Conference: Application & Guidelines
July 9-13, 2014 (5 days) - Fiction, Poetry, Creative Nonfiction
July 9-20, 2014 (12 days) - Short Story, Novel, Poetry, Creative Nonfiction, Memoir
July 16-20, 2014 (5 day) - Children's Literature
- We have entered to the digital age and applications are now done through our online form. Please make sure you have all your documents collected and ready for uploading before you begin, to make the process as easy as possible. Apply online here.
- Acceptance to a workshop is based primarily on the promise of your writing sample. See guidelines below. For Children's Literature, see guidelines here.
- Secondary consideration is also given to an indication of how you will benefit from the experience of joining us.
- If applying for a scholarship, please include a statement of purpose and arrange for one letter of recommendation.
- If applying to our intro class, please submit a 150-word statement detailing your expectations of the program.
- Date of birth: All applicants, including non-credit, must be at least 18 years of age and must provide their DOB to register for the course. We also need this information for housing and drink/food purposes.
- Staying on Campus: We recommend that you stay on campus, to immerse yourself in the experience. The schedule is packed with events all day and every evening.
- Student Status: These questions help us get you into the Stony Brook system if you want to earn credit. Workshops may be taken for 2 or 3 graduate-level academic credits (2 for five day workshops, 3 for 12 day workshops). To earn the credits, participants must attend all workshop meetings, complete all assignments, earn a passing grade, and attend all electives, including evening events. Stony Brook undergraduates who are accepted can get permission from their departments and the Graduate School to apply these credits toward their Bachelor’s. Students at other universities should check with their institutions for how to apply these credits. Out-of-state students will pay an additional cost.
- Workshop Preferences: Please mark your first, second and third choices. If you would like to take a 5 day session followed by a 5 day children's literature session, please mark those as your first and second choices, then select a third choice for either session.
- Scholarships: Partial scholarships are generally modest, and are meant to defray some of the costs of staying on campus.
- Writing Sample, Statement of Purpose, Letters of Recommendation:
- Please submit 10 pages of poetry, single-spaced, or 10-20 pages of prose, double-spaced, in the genre to which you’re applying. The sample should be in 12-point font with your name on each page. Writing samples can be uploaded as PDFs or Word docs. For Children's Literature, see guidelines here.
- If applying for a scholarship, your statement of purpose should be 500 words or less.
- Also, please arrange for a recommender to send a letter attesting to the strength of your work and your level of commitment to it. The letter should go to: Southampton Arts Summer, Southampton Writers Conference, 239 Montauk Hwy, CH 238, Southampton NY 11968.
- If applying to our intro class, please submit a 150-word statement detailing your expectations of the program. Intro participants attend all readings, lectures, and social events.
- Listener's Pass, Find Your Voice and Residency: June 1
- For Scholarship Consideration: March 1
- All Other Applications: April 1
Early application is encouraged, as workshop space is limited. Notification of acceptance will ordinarily be mailed within four weeks. Scholarship applications received after March 1st will be considered on a rolling basis if space is available.
Application Fee: waived
5-Day Session: $1175
12 Day Session: $1895
5 Day Finding Your Voice: $738
12 Day Finding Your Voice: $1045
12 Day Residency: $703
12 Listener's Pass: $703
5 Day Credit (2 credits): $1495
12 day Credit (3 credits): $2326
Out of State Graduate Credit: additional $354 per credit
*prices subject to change
Double Space: $40.80 per night (5-day conference: $163.20, 12 day conference: $448.80)
Double Space with Linen: $47.80 per night (5-day conference: $191.20, 12 day conference: $525.80)
Single Space: $47.40 per night (5-day conference: $189.60, 12 day conference: $521.40)
Single Space with Linen: $54.40 per night (5-day conference: $217.60, 12 day conference: $598.40)
Budget $35-$50 per day
• A non-refundable tuition deposit of $400 is due upon acceptance.
• Refunds cannot be provided for those who must leave the conference early.
• Tuition deposits received after a workshop fills will be returned promptly.
• Remaining tuition and fees must be received by May 1, 2014.
Letters of Recommendation must be mailed to:
Southampton Arts Summer
Stony Brook Southampton
239 Montauk Highway
Southampton, NY 11968