2014 Southampton Writers Conference
July 9-13, 2014 (5 days) - Fiction, Poetry, Creative Nonfiction, Children’s Literature
July 9-20, 2014 (12 days) - Short Story, Novel, Poetry, Creative Nonfiction, Memoir, Children’s Literature
- We have gone digital. Apply online here.
- Acceptance to a workshop is based primarily on the promise of your writing sample. Please submit 10 pages of poetry, single-spaced, or 10-20 pages of prose, double-spaced, in the genre to which you’re applying. The sample should be in 12-point font with your name on each page. Writing samples can be uploaded as PDFs or Word docs.
- Secondary consideration is also given to an indication of how you will benefit from the experience of joining us.
- If applying for a scholarship, please include a statement of purpose of 500 words or less and one letter of recommendation (mailed separately) attesting to the strength of your work and your level of commitment to it.
- If applying to our intro class, please submit a 150-word statement detailing your expectations of the program. Intro participants attend all readings, lectures, and social events.
- Date of birth: All applicants, including non-credit, must be at least 18 years of age and must provide their DOB to register for the course. We also need this information for housing and drink/food purposes.
- Question 1: We recommend that you stay on campus, to immerse yourself in the experience. The schedule is packed with events all day and every evening.
- Question 2: Partial scholarships are generally modest, and are meant to defray some of the costs of staying on campus.
- Question 3 and its subsets: Workshops may be taken for 2 or 3 graduate-level academic credits (2 for five day workshops, 3 for 12 day workshops). To earn the credits, participants must attend all workshop meetings, complete all assignments, earn a passing grade, and attend all electives, including evening events. Stony Brook undergraduates who are accepted can get permission from their departments and the Graduate School to apply these credits toward their Bachelor’s. Students at other universities should check with their institutions for how to apply these credits. Out-of-state students will pay an additional $354* per credit.
- Question 4: We have a terrific program, if you’re interested in studying year-round.
- Workshop Preferences: Please mark your first, second and third choices. If you would like to take a 5 day session followed by a 5 day children's literature session, you must apply to both and include separate application fees.
- For Scholarship Consideration: March 1
- All Other Applications: April 1
Early application is encouraged, as workshop space is limited. Notification of acceptance will ordinarily be mailed within four weeks. Scholarship applications received after March 1st will be considered on a rolling basis if space is available.
Application Fee: waived
5-Day Session: TBA
12 Day Session:TBA
5 Day Intro Session: TBA
12 Day Intro Session: TBA
Out of State Graduate Credit: additional $354 per credit
*prices subject to change
• A non-refundable tuition deposit of $400 is due upon acceptance.
• Refunds cannot be provided for those who must leave the conference early.
• Tuition deposits received after a workshop fills will be returned promptly.
• Remaining tuition and fees must be received by May 1, 2014.
Letters of Recommendation must be mailed to:
Southampton Arts Summer
Stony Brook Southampton
239 Montauk Highway
Southampton, NY 11968