2015 Southampton Writers Conference: Application & Guidelines
July 8-12, 2015 (5 days) - Fiction, Poetry, Creative Nonfiction
July 8-19, 2015 (12 days) - Conference & Residency
July 15-19, 2015 (5 day) - Fiction, Poetry, Creative Nonfiction, Children's Literature
Applications will not be live until December 2014.
- We have entered to the digital age and applications are now done through our online form. Please make sure you have all your documents collected and ready for uploading before you begin, to make the process as easy as possible.
- Acceptance to a workshop is based primarily on the promise of your writing sample. See guidelines below. For Children's Literature, see guidelines here.
- Secondary consideration is also given to an indication of how you will benefit from the experience of joining us.
- If applying for a scholarship, please include a statement of purpose and arrange for one letter of recommendation.
- If applying to our Conference & Residency, please submit a 150-word statement detailing your expectations of the program.
- Date of birth: All applicants, including non-credit, must be at least 18 years of age and must provide their DOB to register for the course. We also need this information for housing and drink/food purposes.
- Staying on Campus: We recommend that you stay on campus, to immerse yourself in the experience. The schedule is packed with events all day and every evening.
- Student Status: These questions help us get you into the Stony Brook system if you want to earn credit. Workshops may be taken for 2 graduate-level academic credits. To earn the credits, participants must attend all workshop meetings, complete all assignments, earn a passing grade, and attend all electives, including evening events. Stony Brook undergraduates who are accepted can get permission from their departments and the Graduate School to apply these credits toward their Bachelor’s. Students at other universities should check with their institutions for how to apply these credits. Out-of-state students will pay an additional cost.
- Workshop Preferences: Please mark your first, second and third choices. If you would like to take a workshop in both sessions, you must submit two applications.
- Scholarships: Substantial scholarships for those who meet the criteria.
- Writing Sample, Statement of Purpose, Letters of Recommendation:
- Please submit 10 pages of poetry, single-spaced, or 10-20 pages of prose, double-spaced, in the genre to which you’re applying. The sample should be in 12-point font with your name on each page. Writing samples can be uploaded as PDFs or Word docs. For Children's Literature, see guidelines here.
- If applying for a scholarship, your statement of purpose should be 500 words or less.
- If applying for a scholarship, please arrange for a recommender to send a letter attesting to the strength of your work and your level of commitment to it. The letter should go to: Southampton Arts Summer, Southampton Writers Conference, 239 Montauk Hwy, CH 238, Southampton NY 11968.
- If applying to our Conference or Residency, please submit a 150-word statement detailing your expectations of the program. Conference & Residency participants attend all readings, lectures, and social events.
- Conference and Residency: June 1
- For Scholarship Consideration: March 1
- All Other Applications: April 1
Early application is encouraged, as workshop space is limited. Notification of acceptance will ordinarily be mailed within four weeks. Scholarship applications received after March 1st will be considered on a rolling basis if space is available.