Application & Guidelines
Master Class & Residency: July 12-23, 2017 (12 days)
Workshops: July 12-16, July 19-23 or July 12-23, 2017 (12-day or 5-day option)
- Applications are now done through our online form. Please make sure you have all your documents collected and ready for uploading before you begin, to make the process as easy as possible. Please include your last name in your file name (ex. LastNamesubmission.doc or LastNamepersonalstatment.pdf)
- Acceptance to a workshop is based primarily on the promise of your writing sample. See guidelines below. For Children's Literature, see guidelines here.
- Secondary consideration is also given to an indication of how you will benefit from the experience of joining us.
- Please submit 10 pages of poetry, single-spaced, or 10-20 pages of prose, double-spaced, in the genre to which you’re applying. The sample should be in 12-point font with your name on each page. Writing samples can be uploaded as PDFs or Word docs. For Children's Literature, see guidelines here.
- Date of birth: All applicants, including non-credit, must be at least 18 years of age and must provide their DOB to register for the course. We also need this information for housing and drink/food purposes.
- Staying on Campus: We recommend that you stay on campus, to immerse yourself in the experience. The schedule is packed with events all day and every evening.
- Workshop Preferences: Please mark your first, second and third choices. If you would like to take a workshop in both sessions, you must submit two applications.
Currently, we only offer scholarships to those accepted to workshops. While we do not offer complete scholarships, we do offer substantial scholarships for those who meet the criteria.
- If applying for a funding, your statement of purpose should be 500 words or less.
- If applying for a funding, please arrange for a recommender to send a letter attesting to the strength of your work and your level of commitment to it. The letter should go to:
Southampton Arts Summer
Southampton Writers Conference
239 Montauk Hwy
Southampton NY 11968
- Workshop Scholarship Consideration: March 1
- Workshop Applications: April 1
- Conference and Residency: May 15
Early application is encouraged, as workshop space is limited. Notification of acceptance will begin after March 5th. After that, acceptances will ordinarily be emailed within four weeks. Scholarship applications received after March 1st will be considered on a rolling basis if space and funds are available.