Short Fiction Prize - Guidelines
Only undergraduates enrolled full time in United States and Canadian universities and colleges for the academic year 2016-17 are eligible. This Prize has traditionally encouraged submissions from students with an Asian background, but we urge all students to enter.
- Entrant's identity and academic institution will not be revealed to judges.
- Submissions of no more than 7,500 words.
- All entries must be accompanied by proof of current undergraduate enrollment, such as a photocopy of a grade transcript, a class schedule or payment receipt showing your full-time status. The institution's name and address must be clear.
- Manuscripts will not be returned. Submission assumes the right of Stony Brook to publish the winning story on its Web site.
- The winning short story will automatically be considered for publication in The Southampton Review, the literary journal published by the Stony Brook Southampton MFA program in Writing and Literature.
- No fax submissions will be accepted.
Submissions open March 11, 2017. The deadline to submit material is May 25, 2017. All applications postmarked after the deadline will be returned unopened. The winner and runners-up will be notified in October 2017.
Online submissions are free. Go to the Stony Brook Short Fiction Prize Submittable website at: https://stonybrookshortfictionprize.submittable.com. Please follow directions on the Submittable website to upload your story and proof of undergraduate student status.
Submit By Mail:
For mailed submissions, please follow the directions below.
- Submissions of no more than 7,500 words should be typed on 8.5-by-11-inch paper.
- Include one cover sheet with the title of the work only. On a second cover sheet, include your name, permanent address, telephone number and email address. Do not include your name on any pages of your story.
- Include proof of current undergraduate enrollment, such as a photocopy of a grade transcript, a class schedule or payment receipt showing your full-time status. The institution's name and address must be clear.
- Mail Submissions to:
Director, Stony Brook $1,000 Short Fiction Prize
Stony Brook Southampton
MFA in Writing and Literature
239 Montauk Highway, CH 238
Southampton, New York 11968