The Fellows program runs from January - January, each year. Applications for the next
year's program can be started anytime between January 1 - October 31. The deadline for completed applications is November 1.
NOTE: During July and August, the application system is on temporary hiatus while the school transitions from one academic calendar year to the next. The system re-opens for applications in mid-August.
How To Apply:
Please read through and/or print the application instructions below before you begin the application process. You will be applying via the Stony Brook Graduate School’s online application system, and will need this information to complete your application.
Once you have read the instructions, click on the link below to begin the application process:
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS & NOTES
- The program to which you are applying is the Certificate in Children's Literature
- The Entrance Date for which you are applying is Spring.
- For “Specialization,” please type your genre. You are applying as a part-time student.
- You will need to upload the following:
- A statement of purpose discussing your reasons for study and your evolution as a writer. This should be one or two pages, the length of a good letter.
- A writing sample of up to 10 pages of creative writing for picture books or 25 pages for chapter, middle grade or young adult.
- A c.v. or résumé
- Contact information for three (3) references. The application system will email your recommenders with instructions to upload their letters.
- Even though the application will ask for it, you do not need GRE scores.
- NOTE: Even though the application will ask whether you are applying for financial aid consideration, please note that certificate programs are not eligible for scholarships/financial aid from within the university. Please see the Frequently Asked Questions section for more information about tuition assistance.
- Finally, you will need to have an official transcript from any undergraduate and graduate
institutions you’ve attended sent to our program office:
Director, Children’s Lit Fellows
Creative Writing and Literature
Chancellors Hall, Room 238
Stony Brook Southampton
239 Montauk Highway
Southampton, NY 11968
The transcript(s) must be official - we cannot accept copies.
If you are accepted, we will ask for a second set of official transcripts.
Matriculating Stony Brook University graduate students do not need to apply through SB’s online application portal (Apply Yourself.) Simply email your Statement of Purpose, writing sample, CV and two letters of recommendation prior to December 1 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate that you are a graduate student in your SoP. If accepted, you would then need to fill out a simple form to enroll. NOTE: If you have already graduated, you will need to apply through the official portal.
Stony Brook faculty members or administrators can be pre-screened for admission by emailing a Statement of Purpose (identifying as faculty/staff), a writing sample, CV and two letters of recommendation to email@example.com by December 1st. If accepted, you will hear from us by December 10. You will then have until December 15 to file an official application through Stony Brook’s “Apply Yourself” portal, which has an associated application fee of $100 – but you will only need to do this if you have already been accepted to the program. In addition, Stony Brook faculty and staff members are eligible to use UUP tuition waivers to offset the cost of the course.
You are eligible to apply if you have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. You needn’t have been an English major; any discipline is acceptable, but an undergraduate degree is required. Except in special circumstances, you must have earned a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4-point scale.
You are also eligible to apply even if you are already enrolled in another graduate degree-granting program at Stony Brook University or elsewhere. Please note that the credits you earn as a Children’s Lit Fellow cannot be counted toward any other degree, nor can credits from elsewhere transfer into the Fellows program.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.