Children's Lit Fellows - Admissions
For 2015 Fellows, the deadline is December 1, 2014. Applications become available on September 15
How To Apply:
Please read through and/or print the application instructions below before you begin the application process. You will be applying via the Stony Brook Graduate School’s online application, and will need this information to complete your application.
Once you have read the instructions, go here to begin the application process:
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS & NOTES
1. The program to which you are applying is the Creative Writing and Literature Certificate
2. The Entrance Date for which you are applying is Spring.
3. For “Specialization,” please type “Children’s Literature Fellow.” You are applying as a part-time student.
4. You will need to upload the following:
• A statement of purpose discussing your reasons for study and your evolution as a writer. This should be one or two pages, the length of a good letter.
• A writing sample of up to 10 pages of creative writing for picture books or 25 pages for chapter, middle grade or young adult.
• A c.v. or résumé
• Contact information for three (3) references. The application system will email your recommenders with instructions to upload their letters.
5. NOTE: Even though the application will ask for it, you do not need GRE scores.
6. NOTE: Even though the application will ask whether you are applying for financial aid consideration, please note that certificate programs are not eligible for scholarships/financial aid.
7. Finally, you will need to have an official transcript from any undergraduate and graduate institutions you’ve attended sent to our program office:
Director, Children’s Lit Fellows
Creative Writing and Literature
Chancellors Hall, Room 238
Stony Brook Southampton
239 Montauk Highway
Southampton, NY 11968
The transcript(s) must be official - we cannot accept copies.
If you are accepted, we will ask for a second set of official transcripts.
Children’s Lit Fellows apply for admission into the Advanced Certificate in Creative Writing program. You are eligible to apply if you have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. You needn’t have been an English major; any discipline is acceptable, but an undergraduate degree is required. Except in special circumstances, you must have earned a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4-point scale.
You are also eligible to apply even if you are already enrolled in another graduate degree-granting program at Stony Brook University or elsewhere. Please note that the credits you earn as a Children’s Lit Fellow cannot be counted toward any other degree, nor can credits from elsewhere transfer into the Fellows program.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.