A&S Senate Meeting
November 19, 2012
I. Approval of agenda: approved.
II. Approval of minutes from October 22, 2012: approved.
III. President’s Report (T. Sears)
- Gen Ed Curriculum: Strong concerns were raised by CEAS. They felt that CEAS students would be negatively impacted by having to take additional credits to satisfy the new Gen Ed requirements. CEAS requested a waiver for the language requirement. It was also felt that an additional core requirement based on understanding of technology be part of, or added to, the nine core requirements. A second issue of contention concerns the grade requirements. It was recommended at the November 5th Senate meeting that the Undergraduate Council delay implementation for another year. The new curriculum would not come into force until 2014. This would not be possible to certify by fall 2013.
- Progress is being made on the Gyrodyne issue. Meetings are ongoing with Stony Brook administrators and SUNY administration.
- The University Senate EC had a very worthwhile meeting with Senator La Valle.
- The Provost is planning to raise TA/GA stipends. Salaries will rise $5,000 over the next five years.
IV. Report from the A&S Dean (N. Squires)
- Two phases to cluster hires. The Executive Summaries should be sent in by 1/11/13 with the full proposals on April 5, 2013. The last round of cluster hires produced only 2 out of the 6 proposals from the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Ongoing searches: factors in approving tenure/tenure track searches with teaching needs being the biggest priority.
- Strategic Plans are over two years old. Need to look at the quality of programs, retirements, resignations, etc. Increase rankings of departments by adding high-visibility scholars to departments. Strengthen interdisciplinary research and education with critical hires and seed money for initiatives.
- Ongoing cluster related searches in Anthropology, Biochemistry, Physics, Political Science, Sociology and Theatre.
- Ongoing searches in Art, Math, Philosophy and Physics. Endowed Chairs in Hellenic Studies and in Classics on the Horizons.
V. Old business: no old business.
VI. New business: no new business.
Meeting adjourned at 4:10 p.m.
Submitted by: Laurie Theobalt, Secretary