Master's Degree in Philosophy
Focus on Philosophy and the Arts
Many of the questions that occasioned Plato's reflection on art are still with us:
• What is the relationship between
art and truth?
• Is the task of the artist to represent already existing things or to create altogether new things?
• Is the spectator of art to be regarded as a mere witness or as an active participant?
• What is the role of emotion in the experience of art?
• What are the most salient differences between the various arts?
This master's program offers an open and informal setting in which to explore such questions in seminars and lectures taught by renowned philosophers of art. Practicing artists will also participate in an intensive discussion of issues in the philosophy of art that are of enduring as well as contemporary interest.