Short Play Prize Submission Guidelines
Only undergraduates enrolled full time in United States and Canadian universities and colleges for the academic year 2011-12 are eligible. This Prize is open to submissions from all undergraduate students, no matter what their major degree plan.
- Submissions should be complete plays with a beginning, middle and end.
- Submissions should have a running time of between 5 and 10 minutes (not 5 to 10 pages).
- Submissions over ten minutes will not be considered.
- A separate Cover Sheet should be included in the submission envelope with the rest of the script, but not attached to the rest of the play. The Cover Sheet should include:
- the play title
- author’s name
- author’s contact information including
- phone number
- mailing address
- if the student is under 18 years of age, the name and contact information for the student’s parent or guardian
- the author’s undergraduate institution
- name and contact information of a faculty member at that institution who knows the author submitting
- Cover sheets must be accompanied by proof of current undergraduate enrollment, such as:
- a photocopy of a grade transcript
- a class schedule
- a payment receipt showing your full-time status.
- The institution's name and address must be clear.
- The script pages themselves should be bound together only with a binder clip and include
- a Title Page with the title ONLY
- a Cast of Characters with very brief descriptions of the characters
- a very brief description of the time and place of the play or series of scenes
- The script itself, following a format from Final Draft or accepted by Dramatists Guild
- Every page bound together with the binder clip should have the title of the play and a page number in the footer.
- Only one submission per author per year is allowed.
- Plays may only be submitted in hardcopy via mail – see below.
Right to Read and Distribute
- Submission assumes the right of Stony Brook Southampton to read the winning play at the 2012 Southampton Writer’s Summer Conference and broadcast a video of that reading via a link on the Stony Brook Southampton website.
- Winners under 18 will be asked to attend a Summer Conference after they turn 18.
Deadline: April 1, 2012. All submissions received after the deadline will be unopened and returned. The winner and runners-up will be notified in June 2012.
Mail submissions to:
William Westbrook Burford
Stony Brook Short Play Prize
Stony Brook Southampton
MFA in Theatre
239 Montauk Highway
Southampton, New York 11968