8 of 13
7. RAISE THE ARTS TO NATIONAL PROMINENCE.
Stony Brook’s location halfway between New York City and the artistic communities of Long Island’s East End provides an exceptional opportunity for programs in the visual, literary, and performing arts. Stony Brook Southampton expands the possibilities. In the next five years these resources will be used to support the expansion of performance/exhibition programs and art education and scholarship. Organizational strategies will be developed to ensure the success of artistic endeavors in the research university context.
- Stony Brook will develop excellence and visibility in the arts, including engaging active artists in performance/exhibition and educational programs.
- Stony Brook Southampton will develop arts programs.
- Stony Brook will present world-class performing arts at the Staller Center on the Stony Brook campus and the Avram Theater at Southampton.
- Stony Brook will develop the Charles B. Wang Center as a place for the arts.
- Stony Brook will offer art students a broad array of internships in leading museums, galleries, and performance venues on Long Island, and in Manhattan through Stony Brook Manhattan.
Page 8 of 13