Faculty Advisory Council (FAC) Meeting Notes
March 14, 2013
There were three initiative presentations made to attending FAC members Lori Escallier, Peter Manning, Bob Kerber and PMO members Axel Drees, Lyle Gomes, Mitch Menarchem and Doug Panico.
Dr. Ben Hsiao, Vice President for Research, provided updates on the Research Advisory Committee (RAC), the Departmental Administrator Committee (DAC) and Shared Services Initiatives.
- RAC, formed to increase faculty engagement in research-related processes, has 16 members representing a broad spectrum of research area, and also has a RAC web site.
- Similarly, DAC was formed to increase engagement, training and education of campus departmental research administrators and has 18 members. Due to Operational Excellence initiatives, including electronic processing and COEUS, substantial permanent savings have been derived.
- There are new positions being added with shared funding and responsibilities of different areas. Dr. Hsiao provided details on the positions and agreements.
Adnan Rangwala, Financial / IT Systems Manager, presented an update on the Research Portal initiative.
- The Research Portal is a single gateway that allows researchers and staff to collaborate, coordinate and manage all aspects of research activity. It will connect all systems that researchers use or need access to, eliminate paper, use a single sign on (SSO) and provide valuable dashboard information.
- A complete list of systems being addressed, the challenges of the project and the status of each program was provided.
Axel Drees, Vice Provost for Budget and Planning discussed the Space Utilization initiatives.
- Space utilization must be optimized and consistent policies for space use is necessary to support the following initiatives: 1) the hiring of 200 new faculty on West Campus; 2) the addition of new interdisciplinary centers and institutes; 3) the increase of student population by approximately 1,200 students.
- New processes to improve and maintain space inventory data are being explored.
- New policies and methods for improved space utilization may include scheduling some classrooms, seminar / conference rooms, labs, etc., through the Registrar’s office, as well as the sharing of rooms within a building.
- Existing practices and policies regarding external users and the inappropriate use of University space / resources will also be examined.
Past FAC meeting presentations included:
August 23, 2012
- Applicant Tracking System Updates & Milestones - presented by Lynn Johnson, VP for Human Resource Services
- Building Manager program and Custodial Staffing Initiatives - presented by Terence Harrigan, AVP for Facilities & Services
May 8, 2012
- Applicant Tracking System – presented by Lynn Johnson
- Budget Update – presented by Lyle Gomes, VP for Finance and Mark Maciulaitis, Assistant VP for Budget
March 20, 2012
- Degree Audit and Transfer Initiative – presented by Dr. Matthew Whelan, Associate Provost for Enrollment and Retention Management; Richard Gatteau, PhD, Assistant Provost and Faculty Director, Higher Education Administration Program; Diane Bello, University Registrar
Status of IT Initiatives – presented by Chris Kielt, CIO
January 31, 2012
- Shared Services – presented by Nancy Squires, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences
December 16, 2011
- Research Advisory Faculty Team (RAFT) – presented by Nancy Daneau, Assistant Vice President for Research Development and Sponsored Programs
April 7, 2011
March 10, 2011
February 3, 2011