Research Interests and Funding Opportunities
In a continuing effort to enhance the services available to our campus research community, our office maintains a database system that captures and records the research interests and expertise of SBU’s researchers and delivery of available funding opportunities. We hope that this system will help our faculty identify and successfully compete for external funding and, more importantly, help form new multidisciplinary collaborations within the campus.
Some main features of our databases are:
- SBU-wide access to individualized profiles for every researcher on campus
- Several views and searching options to meet multiple needs -- including identification of possible collaborators and for university administrators seeking faculty with topical interests/expertise
- Funding opportunities collected each week from a variety of sources are added into the database, assigning to each a selection of disciplines and keywords
- Automated weekly emails based on keyword matches to researcher profiles are delivered to faculty/researchers, providing the critical elements and a link to the official opportunity
- Names, email addresses and phone numbers of all other faculty/researchers for whom the keywords matched the opportunity record, with the ability to click on their profiles
- Weekly on-line funding bulletins available to everyone on campus
Limited Competitions and Institutional NominationsThis office is responsible for coordinating the selection of institutional nominations and applications in response to limited competitions (when there is a limit to how many applications Stony Brook may submit to a particular program). If you are interested in being considered for an award or program wherein an institutional nomination is required, please contact Peter Saal as early in the process as possible, at Peter.Saal@stonybrook.edu or 631-632-9033.
Access to Community of Science
Peter Saal also acts as liaison between the campus community and the Community of Science (COS). COS provides another service where you can search for major and lesser-known funding opportunities, and post your research profile, which will be accessible by anyone around the world if they also subscribe to COS.