B.1. NAVIGATION PANE
B.2. MANDATORY FIELDS
The Navigation buttons on the left hand side of the screen include the sections required to prepare a proposal. Each button represents a different screen. The Budget button is the exception. When selected, it not only switches to the budget screen, but an entirely new set of functions is displayed. Where possible, avoid using the web browser’s Back button. Using this button could generate system errors.
COEUS does not have many mandatory fields, but those mandatory are marked with a red asterisk (*). Data must be entered before saving or leaving a screen that contains mandatory fields.
COEUS has a number of pre-populated data tables that makes proposal preparation more efficient. For example, when identifying a Sponsor in a proposal, adding a person as an Investigator, or selecting a Department for crediting, it is important to use the search functions to retrieve the correct data from the COEUS tables. COEUS provides a tool to simplify the search function – the “wildcard” (the asterisk “∗”). It should be used for ALL searches in COEUS. If the wildcard is not utilized, all entered search criteria must be exactly as it appears in the database or no results will be returned.
Examples: To search for all sponsors that begin with the word “National”, type in “National∗”, or to search for any sponsor that contains the word “Institute”, type in “∗Institute∗”. To look for any sponsor that ends with the word “Health”, type in “∗Health”.
Upon successful log-on, you will see that there are 8 navigation buttons across the top of the screen. At this time, only the My Proposals and Inbox navigation buttons are being utilized.
1. COEUS Home: This button brings the user to the home page
2. My IRB Protocols allows you to prepare and submit protocol applications and review detailed information associated with your existing protocols.
3. My Proposals feature allows you to view, prepare, and internally route your proposal.
- Internal approvers can view, approve, or reject proposals for correction.
- OSP Authorized Administrators can submit proposals to Grants.gov.
- Departmental Administrators, if given access, can view and modify proposals.
4. My COI feature allows you to provide the required conflict of interest information and updates.
5. My IACUC Protocols allows you to prepare and submit protocol applications and review detailed information associated with your existing protocols.
6. Inbox allows you to monitor and manage the auto-generated emails related to the electronic Routing and Approval function available in COEUS.
7. My ARRA module provides a place for Principal Investigators (PIs) to report on their American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) funds.
8. Logout button is used to log out of the COEUS system.
On the left side of the screen there are three links:
9. Grants.gov: Grants.gov is the source to find federal government grants. There are over 1,000 grant programs offered by all federal grant making agencies.
10. Launch COEUS Premium: COEUS Premium may be launched from the COEUSLite home page. It will be used primarily by Research Administrators and users who work on proposals with complex budgets.
11. Help: By clicking on the Stony Brook link you will be directed to the COEUS home page where you will be able to find additional information related to COEUS.
On the top right of the screen there is an additional link:
12. Current Locks: When a user opens a proposal to edit, COEUS creates a ‘lock’ that prevents multiple users from modifying the same proposal simultaneously. There may be times when these locks are not automatically released and need to be cleared manually. Click on this link to open up a window where the locks can be removed. Close the proposal and then re-open it to make changes.
From the COEUS Home Page, click on My Proposals. This function provides a means to search for all existing proposals and to create new proposals. When chosen, the screen will initially display the Proposals in Progress screen. Five new links are then listed immediately under the COEUS Home navigation pane: All Proposals, Proposals in Progress, Create New Proposal, Proposal Search and Grants.gov Opportunity Search.