Responsible Conduct of Research and Scholarship
1. CITI Training:
Stony Brook University is a subscriber to the web based CITI training program. The curriculum includes modules for Responsible Conduct of Research and Scholarship (RCRS) training in any of various academic disciplines.
- Go to https://www.citiprogram.org
- Log in with your CITI Username and Password (see above for registration information)
- Once you proceed, you will be directed to a page titled, "Main Menu" which shows the courses you are enrolled in for SBU. Click "Add a course or update your learner groups for SUNY - University at Stony Brook " to Enter or Re-enter a course.
- Choose “I would like to enroll in Responsible Conduct of Research courses.” You will have the opportunity to choose the RCRS course that most closely matches your discipline. Choices include biomedical research, social and behavioral sciences, humanities, and physical sciences.
- Enter and complete the course as outlined. You may return and complete modules at your leisure.
2. GRD 500 Sessions:
|Journalism and Science||November 10, 2010|
|Data Management||November 10, 2010|
|Plagiarism||October 13, 2010|
|Ownership and Authorship||October 13, 2010|
|Mentoring||November 10, 2010|
|Scientific Misconduct||October 13, 2010|
|Integrity in Scholarship||October 13, 2010|
|Responsible Conduct of Research Involving Human Subjects||November 10, 2010|
|Responsible Conduct of Research Involving Laboratory Animals||November 10, 2010|
3. Other Resources
- General RCRS Educational Resources: A comprehensive collection of RCRS resources offered by other institutions - listed by the Office of Research Integrity (ORI).
- Responding to Research Wrongdoing: A User Friendly GuideResponding to Research Wrongdoing: A User Friendly Guide Gerald P Koocher, Ph.D., ABPP
- American Board of Radiology Foundation - Educational Modules on Ethics and Professionalism (free, registration required)
- Ethics Core
- NIH - Responsible Conduct of Research
- On Being a Scientist: A Guide to Responsible Conduct in Research: Third Edition, The National Academies Press
- NSF Federal Register Notice on RCR Implementation: Federal Register Notice of August 20, 2009 (Volume 74, Number 160)
- National Postdoc Association RCR Toolkit
- ORI's RCR Education Materials Clearinghouse
- National Academy of Engineering Workshop Report: Ethics Education and Scientific and Engineering Research: What's Been Learned? What Should be Done?
RCRS Training DatabaseThe RCRS Training database may only be accessed by individuals authorized by their Academic School or College's RCRS Training Program to input training data. To do so without such authorization is a violation of University Policy P211.
Login to the Database here: https://eweb.research.sunysb.edu/rcrs.
A user guide for the database is available at: http://www.stonybrook.edu/research/orc/documents/rcrs-quickguide.pdf. You will be asked to log on with your Stony Brook University NetID.