Human Subjects in Research
Institutional Review BoardsThe University's On-site Institutional Review Boards
- Committees on Research Involving Human Subjects (CORIHS) a
- Committees on Research Involving Human Subjects (CORIHS) b
External Institutional Review Boards
IRBNet is SBU's electronic system for the administration and management of IRB records for investigators and CORIHS.
Go to http://www.irbnet.org and begin the simple process of registering with IRBNet by clicking on 'New User registration', in the top right corner. Then start creating your studies!
If you have any questions, or would like to schedule in-person training, please contact the Office of Research Compliance, at 631-632-9036.
In order for you to be certified to conduct research involving human subjects, you must:
a. first be registered in IRBNet. Follow directions at http://www.stonybrook.edu/research/orc/human-subjects.shtml#irbnet-tab and
b. satisfy the following TWO training requirements (along with obtaining IRB approval for the activity):
1. Training in Human Subject Protections
Click here to read Section 12.4 for training instructions.
'Live' training lectures for new or recertifying researchers can be scheduled for groups of 20 or more. Contact Judy Matuk, 631-632-9036 if you are interested in this training option.
For those who must certify training to the NIH, the following
template is acceptable for your Certification of Completion
of Human Subjects Training letter.
Click here to download Word Template
2. HIPAA in Research Training
- Review the SBU Policy and Procedure on Research Subjects' Right to Privacy at: http://www.stonybrook.edu/research/orc/humans/HSG.shtml (See Section 16 of the Standard Operating Procedures)
- Review the University Hospital's general HIPAA awareness training materials.
- Satisfy this HIPAA training requirement by sending an e-mail to Mary Ellen Herz.
- the subject reading: HIPAA RESEARCH TRAINING COMPLETED and the
- body of the text reading: "I have read and understood the HIPAA awareness training materials and agree to comply with the SBU Policy and Procedures on Research Subjects' Right to Privacy."
Standard Operating Procedures
- Belmont Report: http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/humansubjects/guidance/belmont.html
- Declaration of Helsinki: http://history.nih.gov/research/downloads/helsinki.pdf
PoliciesDepartment of Health and Human Services (DHHS)/Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP)
Regulations: DHHS: 45 CFR Part 46 DHHS -- Protection of Human Subjects
Food and Drug Administration
- Research Involving Human Subjects P202R
Policy for Sponsor, IRB and Institutional Fees (eff.
|CORIHS A||CORIHS B|
|Dr. Harold Carlson, Medicine, Chair||Dr. Michael Pearl, Gynecologic Oncology, Chair|
|Dr. Rishimani Adsumelli, Anesthesiology||Dr. Philip Bao, Surgery|
|Ms. Elizabeth Baron, IRB Administrator||Dr. Patricia Eckardt, Nursing|
|Dr. Marijean Buhse, Nursing||Ms. Gail Frankel, Community Member|
|Dr. Turhan Canli, Psychology||Mr. Omar Gould, Community Member|
|Dr. Kathleen Gambino, Nursing||Dr. Luis Gruberg, Cardiology|
|Dr. Donald Harrington, Radiology||Dr. Marie Marino, Nursing|
|Dr. Jeffrey Hom, Pediatrics||Dr. Robert Marmo, Prisoner Advocate|
|Dr. Andrzej Kudelka, Medical Oncology||Dr. Margaret McNurlan, Surgery|
|Dr. Evan Leibner, Emergency Medicine||Dr. Susan O'Leary, Psychology|
|Ms. Aimee Minton, IRB/COI Administrator||Mr Abdool Samad, IRB Administrator|
|Dr. Richard Morgan, Social Welfare||Dr. Marie Varela, PharmD, Pharmacy|
|Ms. Lynn Perry, Community Member||Dr. Stephen Vitkun, Anesthesiology|
|Dr. Mary Saltz, Radiology||Mr Michael Wade, IRB Assistant|
|Dr. Jila Sharif, MD, Neonatology|
|ALTERNATE MEMBERS||ALTERNATE MEMBERS|
|Dr. Michael Pearl, Gyn. Onc. (Alternate for Chair)||Dr. Harold Carlson, Medicine (Alternate for Chair)|
|Ms. Lu-Ann Kozlowski (Alternate for Ms. Baron)||Ms. Elizabeth Baron (Alternate for Mr. Samad)|
|Mr. Abdool Samad (Alternate for Ms. Baron)||Ms. Lu-Ann Kozlowski (Alternate for Mr. Samad)|
|Mr. Michael Wade (Alternate for Ms. Minton)||Ms. Aimee Minton (Alternate for Mr. Wade)|
|Updated February 27, 2014|
|CORIHS A||CORIHS B|
|Deadline for Materials||Meeting Date||Deadline for Materials||Meeting Date|
|* Exceptions to the 2nd and 4th Thursday rule due to Holidays|