- What is an eTextbook?
- Do I need to be connected to the internet to read my eTextbook?
- Will my eTextbook look exactly like the physical version?
- Why are there copy and print restrictions on eTextbooks?
- Why aren't all books available through NOOK Study?
- Do course workbooks, CD's & other course components come with the eTextbook purchase?
- Can I access my purchased eTextbook on more than one computer?
- Can I return an eTextbook that I purchased or rented?
- I'm having some issues with my eBook (it won't open or it doesn't look right) — what do I do?
- Can I try NOOK Study before I purchase an eTextbook?
eReaders & Devices
- What is NOOK Study and how will it help me "study smarter"?
- Can I use a NOOK, iPhone or iPad to read eTextbooks?
- If I switch computers, what happens to all of the notes and annotations that I make in my book?
- How many times can I download my eTextbook?
- What happens if I lose my computer?
- What features of NOOK Study are designed for students with disabilities?
- I'm running Mac 10.5.8 - can I install NOOK Study?
- I was given an access code after my purchase. How do I redeem it?
- Can I re-use the access code I was given?
- I'm having problems with my access code.
- What do I do if I lost my access code?
- How much time do I have to redeem my access code?
- An eTextbook is a digital, downloadable version of a physical book.
- Most of our eTextbooks are viewed on an application called NOOK Study which lets you do so much more than just view the book; it allows you to customize the way you study.
- On average, eTextbooks cost up to 60% less than traditional books.
No. Once you've downloaded your eTextbook, it is accessible to you anytime. However, you will need to be online to take advantage of the organizational features or when syncing your books.
Yes, the publishers have worked hard to preserve all the content from the physical version to be used in the digital version. That means you'll see the same graphs, charts, tables, drawings, etc. as you would in the physical version.
Restrictions have been set by the publishers to prevent unauthorized reproduction of their textbooks. These restrictions limit the number of pages you can copy and print from a book. We list most restrictions on the website prior to purchase.
Although our eTextbook collection grows every day, we realize that there are many more titles that we would like to offer. We are working with publishers to grow this collection. We currently offer thousands of textbook titles in digital format.
No. At this time eTextbooks don't include CD content or other companion materials that may be available with the new physical book.
Yes, books can be accessed on up to two computers. After creating the initial NOOK Study account, you can download the NOOK Study on a second computer, sign in with your existing user ID and password, and your purchased books are there! Please be aware that the enhanced features of NOOK Study (copy/print) are only allowed on one of the two devices. For example, if you have a PC and a laptop, you might want to download the enhanced version on your PC where you have access to a printer.
If your eTextbook has not been downloaded or you have not used your access code, you may return your eTextbook within the first week of class for a refund.
If you have purchased an eTextbook with the NOOK Study eReader, please call 1-800-THE-BOOK. If you have purchased an eTextbook with another eReader (xplana or VitalSource), please call 888-886-0801. Of course, you may always contact your bookstore manager.
Of course! First, go to the NOOK Study link at: www.sunysb.bkstore.com. Next, go to NOOK Study.com/freetrials and check out the books that are available for a 7 day free trial. Here's a tip: look for a free trial textbook that you already need for class. If you like it, it's easy to buy within NOOK Study once the free trial expires. Plus, any notes and annotations you make in the trial version will remain when you purchase or rent the book.
eReaders & Devices
NOOK Study is a free application designed for PC or MAC that lets you easily download eTextbooks. eTextbooks can save you up to 60% over printed textbooks. NOOK Study saves all of your course materials in one place; in addition to your eTextbooks, you can include uploaded documents such as course syllabi, class notes and supplemental reading. While studying you can print, highlight, annotate, link to web content, and even copy and print select text. Printing and copying restrictions vary from eTextbook to eTextbook, but are generally more than enough for studying purposes.
Although you might be able to view the book on your iPhone or NOOK reader, these devices are not designed to work with the NOOK Study application and might be challenging to navigate and read with. We are hard at work on creating an iPad compatible version of our NOOK Study application. Stay tuned!
All of your notes and annotations on titles you’ve purchased are safely backed up to the “cloud.” That way, if you have an eReader application installed on a second computer and you switch to it, you will still see all of your notes and annotations.
Please note that you are only allowed two (2) downloads of your textbook per the Digital Rights Management rules set by the publishers.
You may reinstall the eReader application on a new computer. All of your purchased content and synced content (i.e. highlights and annotations within texts) will automatically reappear when you sign in again. If you have already downloaded your eTextbooks to 2 computers (the limit set by the publishers), contact customer service to assist with this process.
NOOK Study provides the ability to enlarge text and read it out loud.
No, NOOK Study works on Mac OS 10.6 and higher.
- Download and install your eReader on your computer.
- Open your eReader and click the “Redeem” button to enter the access code from the receipt.
- Once the title has been loaded into your library, click the book to download it to your computer. Once it finishes downloading, you’re ready to read your book!
No, access codes are good for one-time use only. Once an access code has been redeemed, it cannot be used again.
If your access code is not working or is loading an incorrect title, and you are using the NOOK Study eReader, please call Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK and we’ll be happy to assist you. If you are having trouble with an access code for another eReader, please call Customer Service at (888) 886-0801.
If you purchased your eTextbook from the Bookstore (in store or on the website), please return to the bookstore so we may re-issue you an access code.
You can redeem your access code at any time. Your access code does not expire. Access codes are good for one-time use only. Once an access code has been redeemed, it cannot be used again.
No, because your textbook is digital, there is nothing to return. If you choose to not buy the book or re-rent it at the end of your rental period, your license will simply expire and you will not have access to your textbook. You will still be able to access your notes. However, we do offer a grace period after the expiration of your rental period to buy or re-rent the textbook.