Reimbursement of Relocation Expenses
Reimbursement of relocation is a reportable expense and is subject to Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax guidelines.
State employees may be reimbursed for the actual moving costs of household goods, personal effects and transportation costs. No reimbursement shall be provided for household goods and personal effects in excess of 12,000 pounds. The appointee should select a carrier that is registered with the Department of Transportation. If a private mover is used, three written estimates must be obtained; the lowest of which will be used for reimbursement.
Claim for reimbursement must be submitted within one year of the effective date of the appointment.
Relocation Expenses Eligible for Reimbursement
- Basic cost of moving household goods.
- Basic cost of rental of trailers or trucks.
- Cost of packing and/or unpacking of household goods or personal effects if such services are provided by the carrier.
- Cost of transportation of the appointee and his/her family to the new location at the current New York State rate for the use of personally owned vehicles, the mileage to be measured by the shortest highway route between two places of residence. Payment will be made for one vehicle only, or actual method of transportation used (e.g. airfare).
- Cost of additional insurance above the lowest valuation rate charged.
Relocation Expenses Ineligible for Reimbursement
- Transportation of automobiles, boats and other motor vehicles.
- Household goods and personal effects in excess of 12,000 pounds.
- Temporary housing and pre-move expenses.
Standard Voucher (AC 92) indicating state account number.
- Request for Reimbursement for Moving Expense Agreement (AC 1099) .
- Relocation Expense Authorization (SUSB 1401C)
- Original Bill of Lading, copy of Packing Slips and Proof of Payment.
- Statement of Automobile Travel (AC 160), if requesting the cost of moving one personal automobile at the IRS allowable rate of $.565 per mile effective January 1, 2013.
The Research Foundation recently revised their relocation policy for RF employees. RF employees may be reimbursed for the actual moving costs of household goods, personal effects and travel expenses eliminating the previous $3,000 limit. However, no reimbursement shall be provided for household goods and personal effects in excess of 12,000 pounds. Employees must attach the Research Foundation Expense Authorization and Payment Form and original receipts to a Research Foundation Purchase Requisition. The forms are available on the Procurement website.
For tax purposes, the IRS classifies moving expenses into two types:
- Reasonable costs for transportation and storage of household goods and personal effects.
- Travel and lodging payments for moving from previous residence to new residence.
- Use of personal car (receipted gas or $.24 per mile).
- Moving expenses not previously listed such as meals and pre-move expenses.
- Moving Expense Reimbursement Request and Authorization Form - (PROC0002)
- Research Foundation Purchase requisition.
NOTE: If a State or Research Foundation employee terminates employment within one year of their appointment date all funds must be repaid back to the appropriate funding source.
Required documents for reimbursement of relocation expenses may be downloaded from the Procurement website. Visit www.stonybrook.edu/procurement
Call Porshia Russell at (631) 632-6019 for additional information regarding relocation guidelines.