Funds of the State University of New York are handled by pre-established policies of the Research Foundation at Stony Brook and in accordance with the individual provisions established by the Sponsor. Since the policies of the Research Foundation are subject to the Sponsor's rules and regulations, there may be individual cases in which the latter are more restrictive. The Office of Research Services is responsible for monitoring compliance and approving requisitions before they are processed by Purchasing.
Our policy is to take all of the above into consideration: processing requisitions in accordance with general Research Foundation Policy, but having additional flexibility to serve the unique needs of the Project Director for prompt and dependable action.
To encourage competitive procurement, the following guidelines are established:
|If the total requisition
|then the project director or appropriate
operating location office must obtain...
|$.01 to $50,000||Discretionary purchasing without formal competition, but requires justification for selection and reasonableness of price, Note: The pricing policies of suppliers used for procurements within this range should be reviewed periodically and the results maintained in a supplier procurement file.|
|$50,000 to $100,000||a minimum of three written or verbal quotes.|
|over $100,000||a minimum of three written bids or proposals. Refer to the following block, "Sealed Bids or Proposals."|
Sealed Bids or Proposals:
The sealed bid or proposal process includes the following steps:
- preparing and distributing the solicitation,
- receiving the bids or proposals,
- opening and evaluating the bids or proposals in a meeting, and
- selecting a supplier.
Bid and Proposal Policy for IDC Funds - Overview and Basis for Policy
As stated in OMB Circular A110 and as is the practice of Stony Brook University and the State of New York, all procurement transactions utilizing indirect cost (IDC) funds shall be conducted in a manner to provide, to the maximum extent practical, open and free competition. To avoid unfair advantage and conflict of interest, contractors that develop or draft specifications, requirements, statements of work, invitations for bid (IFB), request for proposal (RFP), etc. shall be excluded from competing for such procurements. Award shall be made to the bidder or offer whose bid is responsive to the solicitation and is most advantageous to the end user and University, price, quality, timeliness and other factors considered. Any and all bids or offers may be rejected when it is deemed be in the best interest of the end user or University.
Effective July 1, 2000 the requirement of prior review and pre-audit of IDC funded purchase requisitions, travel reimbursements, personnel changes, journal transfers and other expenditures and encumbrances by the Office of Grants Management was eliminated. Responsibility for the proper processing of these transactions was delegated to the administrative units involved (Accounting, Procurement, Human Resource Services).
Bid and Proposal Policy for IDC Funds - Types of Bids
The three types of bids or proposals in the solicitation process are verbal, written and sealed.
- A verbal bid or proposal is a supplier's oral statement of price and any other information requested, made in person or via telephone, in response to a solicitation.
- A written bid or proposal is a supplier's written statement of price and any other information requested, in response to a solicitation.
- A sealed bid or proposal is a supplier's written statement of pricing and any other information requested, in response to a solicitation, that is received in a sealed envelope, then opened and the supplier's response declared in a scheduled, open forum.
Requirements/Thresholds for Bids and Proposals When Bids are Required
Bids and proposals are required based on total dollar amount of the submitted requisition. Requisitions should not be split to circumvent the following guidelines:
- Requisition amount of $0.01 to $50,000.00: No bids or proposals required. It shall be the responsibility of the cognizant buyer to ensure that the best interests of the institution are served by this selection.
- Requisition amount of $50,000.00 to $100,000.00: A minimum of three written or verbal quotes are required.
- Requisition amount of over $100,000.00: A minimum of three written bids or proposals are required. Sealed bids may be requested.
Sealed bids are recommended for use in the solicitations relating to fabrications, construction and other custom purchases if the amount is over $20,000. The sealed bid process shall include the following steps:
- Preparation of the solicitation specification and related documentation.
- Distribution of the solicitation to interested parties (solicitations may be advertised to increase response of qualified vendors).
- Receipt of bids or proposals.
- Opening and evaluating the bids or proposals in an open forum.
- Selection of a supplier.
When Bid and Proposals are NOT Required
- Bids or proposals are not required for procurements of any amount made under existing State or Federal contracts or through campus store operations and service centers.
- Single Source Procurements: a single source procurement is a purchase from a supplier who is chosen without soliciting the minimum number of bids or proposals, despite the fact that competition exists, because of limiting factors (e.g. experience/service of supplier, product or service quality, market conditions). Single source procurements require justification of selection and a statement of reasonableness of cost from the ordering entity as well as approval of the University President or designee.
- Sole Source Procurement: a sole source procurement is a purchase from the only available supplier of the product or service. A sole source statement from the ordering entity is required.
For Blanket Order Request
State funded Blanket Order encumbrances must be estimated for an entire fiscal year and must be submitted for each vendor. When State funded Blanket Order requests exceed $2,500.00, all appropriate SUNY Procurement procedures must be followed
Blanket Order requests should be for annual expenditures with a specific vendor; not for one-time purchases.
Blanket Order requests should not be made for Hosted or Punch-out vendors in the Wolfmart Showcase.
Blanket Orders for all services must utilize the Service Contract form; not the Blanket Order form.
All Blanket Order requests will require end users to enter a Cost Receipt to confirm that goods have been received.
All State funded Blanket Orders will be automatically terminated on June 30th.
Supporting Documentation must be attached (i.e. Quotes, Justifications)
Teri Noto Sentowski