Chief Deputy to the President
Dr. Tonjanita L. Johnson is Chief Deputy to the President at Stony Brook University, where she serves as an advisor to the President and Chief of Staff. As part of the University’s senior leadership team, she is responsible for assisting with the institution’s strategic planning process and developing, implementing, and evaluating integral operational plans and programs consistent with the vision of the President and the mission of the University.
Prior to accepting the post at SBU, Johnson served as Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communication at Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro, Tenn., where she was also the chief communication advisor to the President and a member of the public relations faculty in the College of Mass Communication. Johnson began her college career at the University of Alabama (UA) in the summer of 1987 as a New York Times Scholar. She earned both her bachelor’s and master’s degrees from UA in Mass Communication in 1991 and 1996, respectively. In 2006, she earned a Ph.D. in Urban Higher Education from Jackson State University in Jackson, Mississippi, where she served as an Ayers Fellow in the Jake Ayers Institute for Urban Research. In 2008, she completed the Institute for Education Management through the Harvard Graduate School of Education in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Johnson’s research interests include higher education marketing and the role of public relations in university-community relationships. In recognition of her professional efforts and service in the field of public relations, Johnson was recently selected by the University of Alabama College of Communication and Information Sciences as the 2011 Outstanding Alumna in Public Relations.
Direct Reports to Chief Deputy to the President:
- President’s Office Staff
- Shaneen Washington, Assistant to the President & Chief Deputy to the President
- Susan Hines, Coordinator for the Chief Deputy
- Jean Drelick, VP Coordinator
- Marrisa Trachtenberg, Executive Intern
- The Office of Conferences & Special Events, Diana Hannan, Director
- Office of Diversity & Affirmative Action, Christina Vargas Law, Director
- Employee Assistance Program, Colleen Stanley, Program Lead Coordinator
- The Ombuds Office, Judi Segall, University Ombudsperson
- Organizational Wellness & Healthier U Initiatives, Donna L. Buehler, Director