Logo for Stony Brook University


Issued by: Office of Administration

November 2009

Any University individual or organization who serves alcoholic beverages anywhere on a University campus shall obtain a State Liquor Authority, Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control permit (SLA Permit) prior to commencement of the event. The sponsoring individual or organization shall insure, on behalf of the University that the service of alcohol is in full compliance with University policies and New York State law.

Any event at which University students are present that includes the service of alcoholic beverages must also comply with the University Alcohol Policy.

Event sponsors shall initiate the SLA Permit application process at least five (5) weeks prior to the event.

General Events

The sponsoring individual or organization is fully responsible for insuring that the service of alcoholic beverages complies with all University guidelines, including the University Alcohol Policy and State alcohol law. In this context, the event sponsor shall complete Item 4 of the SLA Permit application on behalf of the University, and shall ensure, at all times, oversight of and control over the proceedings. Failure to do so shall result in appropriate sanction.

Event sponsors would normally be:

  • A designee of the Office of Conferences and Special Events, for events coordinated by that office;
  • A designee of the Advancement Office, for events sponsored by that office or by the Alumni Association;
  • A designee of the Executive Director of the Faculty Student Association (FSA), for events sponsored by the Faculty Student Association, provided that the alcohol service is by FSA or one of its subcontractors, in accordance with FSA’s contract with SUNY;
  • A designee of the Dean of Stony Brook Southampton for all events on the Stony Brook Southampton campus;
  • The Vice President for Student Affairs, for events sponsored by undergraduate student organizations, including fraternities/sororities;
  • The Dean of the Graduate School for events sponsored by the Graduate Student Organization;
  • For all other events, wherever located on campus, the senior dean or director of the department sponsoring the event.

Student Events

In addition to the requirements set forth above, prior written permission for events at which alcoholic beverages will be served must be obtained from the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. The sponsor of the event shall initiate the request at least six (6) weeks before the event. For events catered by FSA or a catering service under contract, an FSA designee may submit this request.


Matty A. Orlich
Director, University Community Standards
347 Administration Building
Phone: (631) 632-6705

Related Documents

Created by Application Support for Administration
University Policy Manual @ Stony Brook University