Policies > P112A: RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT PARK SMOKE-FREE POLICY
P112A: RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT PARK SMOKE-FREE POLICY
- Issued by:
- Office of the President
- November, 2008
The Research and Development Park recognizes the serious and substantial public health risk and productivity problems caused by smoking. In an effort to create a healthful, comfortable and productive environment for all students, faculty, staff and visitors, the R&D Park adopts this smoke-free policy. This policy applies to all students, faculty, staff, and visitors at Stony Brook R&D Park.
- Smoking is prohibited in all indoor locations.
- Smoking is prohibited in all enclosed areas.
- Smoking is prohibited in the following outdoor locations:
- at any outdoor event with seating;
- within 25' of any building entrance or ventilation system.
Smoke-Free: The establishment of an environment that is free of smoke through the prohibition of smoking.
Smoking: For purposes of this policy, smoking includes the possession or inhalation of a lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe or tobacco product.
- Campus Operations and Maintenance (CO&M) shall ensure that NO SMOKING signs are posted as appropriate.
- Building Managers shall report any problems or specific needs to CO&M.
- CO&M shall provide receptacles for the extinguishing of tobacco products near building entrances.
- All members of the Research and Development Park community shall be active in monitoring and enforcing this policy.
- Department Heads, Chairs and Directors shall ensure that all personnel within their areas comply with all of the requirements.
- Any person who fails to comply with the requirements of this policy may be in violation of Article 13E of the New York State Public Health Law. Violators may be subject to the imposition of a civil fine and/or disciplinary action as appropriate.
- University Police may be called upon to enforce the provisions of New York State Law.
Environmental Health and Safety
State University of New York at Stony Brook
110 Suffolk Hall
Stony Brook, NY 11794-6200
Main Office: (631) 632-6410
Fax: (631) 632-9683
- Article 13E-New York State Public Health Law
- Regulation of Smoking in Certain Public Areas
- Article 11-Suffolk County Sanitary Code (7/93)