Policies > P112: SMOKE -FREE UNIVERSITY
P112: SMOKE -FREE UNIVERSITY
- Issued by:
- Office of the President
- November 20, 1997
- April, 2009
- November 2012
The University provides a safe and healthy environment for all students, faculty, staff and visitors. In order to accomplish this the University has a smoke-free policy. This policy applies to all students, faculty, staff, patients and visitors at Stony Brook and all University buildings and facilities.
Smoke-Free: The establishment of an environment that is free of smoke through the prohibition of smoking.
Smoking: For purposes of this policy, smoking includes the possession or inhalation of a lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe or tobacco product.
- Smoking is prohibited in all indoor locations including but not limited to:
- classrooms, lecture halls, auditoriums and libraries;
- laboratories, shops, computer rooms and studios;
- offices, meeting rooms and lunch rooms;
- dining facilities, lounges and rest rooms;
- lobbies, foyers, and waiting rooms;
- hallways, stairwells and elevators;
- maintenance areas, mechanical and storage rooms;
- stadiums, gyms and physical activity centers;
- theaters and exhibit halls;
- residential dormitories and common areas.
- Smoking is prohibited in all enclosed areas including but not limited to:
- building entrances and covered walkways;
- loading docks and parking garages;
- courtyards and patios.
- Smoking is prohibited in the following outdoor locations:
- at any outdoor event with seating;
- within 25' of any building.
- Smoking is prohibited in all University vehicles including buses, vans, cars and trucks.
- Smoking is prohibited in University Residence Halls
- The sale of cigarettes and other tobacco products is prohibited anywhere on University property.
- Cigarette advertisements must not be publicly displayed at the University.
- Subject to these conditions, smoking will be permitted in the following areas:
- Long Island State Veterans Home (LISVH) Residents' Smoking Lounge.
- Campus Operations and Maintenance (CO&M), and Campus Residences (CR) shall ensure that NO SMOKING signs are posted as appropriate.
- Building Managers shall report any problems or specific needs to CO&M.
- CO&M and CR shall provide receptacles for the extinguishing of tobacco products near building entrances.
- Student Health Services and the Employee Assistance Program shall provide information on smoking and offer smoking cessation programs to the campus community.
- All employees, faculty, and students share in the responsibility for adhering to this policy.
- Department Heads, Chairs and Directors shall ensure that all personnel within their areas comply with all of the requirements.
- Employees who violate the requirements of the Policy may be subject to counseling or discipline. Supervisors may contact Labor Relations for assistance. Violations by students will be referred to the Office of Student Affairs.
- Any person who fails to comply with the requirements of this policy may be in violation of Article 13E of the New York State Public Health Law. Violators may be subject to the imposition of a civil fine and/or disciplinary action as appropriate.
- University Police may be called upon to enforce the provisions of New York State Law.
Environmental Health and Safety
110 Suffolk Hall
Stony Brook, NY 11794-6200
Employee and Labor Relations
Stony Brook, NY 11794-1015
University Police Department
175 Dutchess Hall
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5501