Madeline A. Turan
Foreign Language Teacher Education Program
AATF (American Association of Teachers of French):
- 2001-present: Active member of the High School Commission
- July 2006: Presented a 3-hour workshop at the AATF Annual Meeting in Milwaukee: << Swigne la bacaisse >>
- July 2005: 3-hour presentation on the music of Quebec at the AATF Annual Meeting in Quebec, Canada: << Le Quebec: un pays, une musique >>
- July 2004: 3-hour workshop given at the AATF/FIPF (Federation Internationale des professeurs de francais) Annual Meeting in Atlanta (this was a joint meeting of the American and international associations): << La diversite a travers la musique populaire >>
- July 2002 : Guest presenter for 3-hour workshop at the AATF Annual Meeting in Boston: << La musique de Quebec: Reflet d'un peuple >>
NYSAFLT (NYS Association of Foreign Language Teachers):
- October 2006: Presentation at the NYSAFLT Annual Meeting in Saratoga Springs: << La musique c'est quelque chose de magique >>
- 2006: Featured on the NYSAFLT Web Page as one of the "52 Faces of NYSAFLT" - October 2002: Pre-conference workshop at NYSAFLT Annual Meeting: << La musique de Quebec: hier et aujourd'hui >>
NECTFL (Northeast Council for Teaching Foreign Languages) :
- March 2005 : 3-hour presentation : << A la recherche de la francophonie Nord-americaine : Une poursuite musicale >>
LILT (Long Island Language Teachers):
- April 2005: presented at the LILT Winter Workshop: "Teaching the Less-able Learner"
Eastern Suffolk BOCES:
- 1998-2005: Foreign Language Consultant
- March 2004: "Gearing up for Checkpoint B - the Regents exam in LOTE"
- November 2003 & March 2004: 2-day workshop: "Using a multimedia approach to teaching foreign language"
- January 2003: Presentations as FL Consultant: "Attaining Checkpoint A Proficiency for the State Assessment in Grade 8"; "Finding vocabulary and grammar in nontraditional places"
- December 2002: presentation of a workshop: "Language Learning for All Students"
- November 2002: Presenter as Foreign Language Consultant with A. Martino from the NYS Education Department: "Strategies for Reading and Writing and the new Regents exams"
SUNY at Stony Brook:
2005-2006: Member of the PEP Advisory Committee
- retired in July 2006 after 36-year teaching career - Summer 2003: Presentation for the Sachem Summer Academy "Tips for New Teachers"
- From 2000-2005: conducted multiple annual workshops on the correction and preparation for the NYS assessments (the regents and proficiency exams)
- 2002-2006: conducted multiple workshops for Student Teachers on the teaching of the Less-Able Learner, effective communicative teaching techniques, using video and music in the classroom, effective classroom control, and setting realistic student expectations.
- 2001: Sachem Teacher of the Year; semifinalist for NYS Teacher of the Year
Other School Districts: - 2003-2005: Multiple presentations at the Lindenhurst, Jericho, Huntington, Syosset and Mount Sinai School Districts concerning the Regents and Proficiency examinations, varied teaching techniques, and/or teaching the less-able learner
Other Awards and Recognitions:
- 2001-2004: 3 nominations for a Disney Teacher Awards
- April 2002: Completion of a published chapter for Proficiency Press, Sigueme
- January 2000-present: annual recommendations by students for inclusion in Who's Who in America's Teachers; published copy in 2005
- Turnkey Trainer for NYS Regents and Proficiency Examinations
- Item-writer for NYS Regents and Proficiency Examinations\
- Member of the Checkpoint C committee for NYSED