Looking for a Job

Preparing for the Job Search

Searching for the right job requires a great deal of preparation and planning. Completing your program is only one step. The job market is competitive. To compete successfully you need to have a cover letter and resume, which help you market yourself effectively, and you need to be prepared for a long round of job interviews and demonstration lessons.

The Career Center (http://www.career.sunysb.edu/) offers a number of services to help you prepare for the job search. Not only does the Career Center sponsor on-campus recruiting fairs, but they also hold seminars on how to write cover letters and resumes, which will highlight your teaching qualifications. They will also conduct mock interviews. However, most of their services require advance appointments; you need to prepare early so that you will be ready when the recruiting season begins.

When to start looking for a job?

The short answer to this question is to start looking for a job as soon as you start student teaching. Most job openings are for positions that begin in September. Schools generally begin advertising these positions in January and February, though positions continue to become available through the beginning of September. Your resume should say that you expect to graduate in May (or December) and that you anticipate receiving your initial certification during the summer (or the spring).

Also, schools are always looking for substitute teachers. Working as a substitute is a good way to get to know the culture of the different school districts and to establish contacts therein. To be a substitute teacher, you must have your initial license. Many of these positions are advertised in the newspaper, or you may simply go to the district human resources office and complete an application. Requirements and application procedures for substitute teachers differ widely from district to district.

Where to find job listings?

Most of the teaching jobs in the New York City region are advertised in the "Week in Review" section of the Sunday New York Times and in the classified section of the online edition. This is where you should begin your job search. Additional information about jobs in other regions of New York State can be found at http://www.olasjobs.org. If you are looking for jobs in New Jersey, most positions are advertised online at: http://www.nj.com/jobs/.

Working in New York City

The New York City Department of Education has its own licensing system, which is separate from the New York State certification system. To work in New York City, you must apply for a city license even if you have satisfied the requirements for state certification. Much of the necessary information--including application forms and procedures--is available online at: http://schools.nyc.gov/default.htm. You may also call the Applicant Services Office of the Center for Recruitment and Professional Development and Human Resources.

If you have completed the teacher education program, you may apply for a New York City license as follows:

  1. Fingerprinting: The fingerprints that you submitted for New York State certification will suffice for a New York City license. Please visit the following weblink for additional information.http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/faqfin.html
  2. You need not submit a separate set of fingerprints. There is a form to be completed if you wish to have a copy of your fingerprints sent to the New York City Department of Education.
  3. Since graduates will not receive their actual New York State Certification until the semester after graduation, to apply for a New York City license you should obtain an original letter from the Interim Teacher Certification Officer (Rachael Lee) stating that you have met all academic requirements for your degree and that the school has applied on your behalf to the NYSED for state certification. This letter can be issued as soon as final grades have been posted, and you have provided the certification office with a fully executed FERPA Release Form.
  4. Submit a completed application form, together with proof of passing scores on the required NYSTCE examinations, a notarized Child Support Certification form, and payment of the application fee, to Human Resources at 65 Court Street.
  5. Once your application has been evaluated, Human Resources will issue you a form that will permit you to begin teaching in the City schools. There are additional requirements to obtain a regular, permanent New York City license; information can be found at http://schools.nyc.gov/default.htm.

Each school district in New York City is assigned to one of five Integrated Service Centers (ISC). The ISC is a professional, customer-oriented organization, dedicated to delivering targeted services to schools within the New York City Department of Education. Additional information about the ISC can be found at the following website: http://insideschools.org/

There are several ways to identify available jobs with the Department of Education:

  1. For information about becoming a teacher, please visit http://schools.nyc.gov/Careers/Teachers/default.htm.
  2. For information about becoming an Education Administrator or Supervisor, please visit http://schools.nyc.gov/Careers/Eas.htm.
  3. For information about becoming a Principal or Assistant Principal, please visit http://schools.nyc.gov/Careers/Principals/default.htm.

Once open positions have been identified, it is up to you to make contact with the responsible administrator. While some positions are filled by the end of the school year, a large number of positions open up over the summer, and the hiring cycle picks up during the last weeks of August.

Teaching in Other States

New York has interstate articulation agreements with fifty-three (53) other states and jurisdictions. As outlined in the Interstate Agreement of Qualification of Educational Personnel, a person prepared in one of the contract states who meets the conditions of the contract is eligible for Initial certification in any of the other contract jurisdictions.

The conditions are either (1) completion of an approved program of teacher preparation or (2) possession of a valid certificate in the contract state and service under that certificate in three of the most recent seven years.

The jurisdictions participating in the current agreement (2005-2010) are as follows: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Department of Defense, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, New Zealand, Northern Mariana Islands, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Ontario, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Spain, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming. Students should Google the "Interstate Agreement on the Qualification of Educational Personnel" to determine if any changes have been put into place by any specific state or if any state has either been added to or dropped off of the list of compact states.

Additional information may be obtained at the following website:

Additional online resources for seeking teaching positions in other states are:
http://www.teaching-jobs.org/ and http://www.teachers-teachers.com/