Donations

The WHGSC welcomes gifts of materials that complement the collection, including but not limited to:

  • items that document Tennis for Two.
  • game consoles, cartridges, and controllers from any time period.
  • handheld games from all periods.
  • instruction manuals, videogame strategy guides and magazines from all periods.
  • tie-in and promotional materials related to videogames.
  • toys and table-top games related to videogames.
  • photographs of and souvenirs from arcades.
  • books about videogames.
  • arcade games.
  • televisions.

In general, the WHGSC will not accept items that: the donor has attached conditions or restrictions, such as retention, housing, classification, and use; duplicate existing holdings; are photocopied materials or copies of original audio/video productions; are damaged and/or brittle; exhibit mildew or mold; and contain extensive pen or pencil markings.

A gift agreement, referred to as a "deed of gift," is a legal document that transfers physical ownership of a collection to the Stony Brook Foundation and/or the University Libraries.

Stony Brook University Libraries can not appraise collections or provide receipts for tax puposes. Donors may seek valuations from independent, accredited appraisers prior to physical transfer of the item(s). Material must then be accepted by the university within 60 days of the appraisal. Donors are strongly encouraged to consult with their attorneys and/or tax preparers prior to making donations. Helpful documents include the IRS publication "Determining the Value of Donated Property" and IRS form 8283.

 

William A. Higinbotham

William HiginbothamAfter reading an instruction manual that accompanied a Donner Scientific Company analog computer, William Alfred Higinbotham was inspired to design Tennis for Two, the first computer game to utilize handheld controllers and to display motion. It was also the first game to be played by general public, in this instance, attendees of “visitors day” at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) in 1958. Learn More »

tennis for two