University Archives: Celebrating Over 50 Years of Stony Brook University
The State University College on Long Island held its first classes on September 17, 1957, on the grounds of Planting Fields, the majestic 350-acre former estate of benefactor William Robertson Coe. Classes were held in Oyster Bay while a new campus was prepared in the quaint community of Stony Brook, on acres of woodlands donated by philanthropist Ward Melville. A groundbreaking ceremony was held on April 8, 1960. The Fall of 2007 marked the 50th anniversary of Stony Brook University.
The University Archives is comprised of over 1,000 linear feet of non-current records including faculty files, administration records, photographs, and publications that document the history of the University. The archives is also the official repository for Stony Brook's master theses and doctoral dissertations and the Stony Brook Authors and Editors Collection.