Executive Board II and General Membership Meeting

Tuesday, June 30, 1998

The meeting was called to order at 8:35 a.m.

The secretary announced that she will be sending the names of people who indicated an interest in getting more involved with MAGERT to the committee chairs and the Chair of MAGERT.

Tom Zogg was in attendance as a representative of the Geoscience Information Society. The Geoscience Information Society is a constituent part of the Geological Society of America. For several years the GIS has sent a representative to the different related library committees. He will report on MAGERT's activities in the GIS newsletter.

Issues Stemming from Executive Board I

Councilor representation: After continued discussion at the annual meeting, there still appears to be no clear idea on what will happen. The basic plan is that each of the twelve small Round Tables may nominate an individual or more than one individual to run for Council and the names will be placed on the ballots for those twelve groups. This will happen next spring, so there will be action on this through the summer up to the Midwinter meeting in Philadelphia. Nominations should follow the standard time frame.

History of Cartography Project: There was some discussion of a request that MAGERT make a contribution to the History of Cartography Project. A suggestion was made that the contribution be made on an annual basis. Karl will obtain further information and a vote on the proposal will be taken via e-mail.

Small Map Collections Discussion Group: A proposal was brought to resurrect the discussion group for small map collections. After some discussion as to the name and the charge for the group, the decision was made to name the group Small Map Collections Discussion Group. Joseph Winkler will be the first chair. The charge will be: Provides a forum for the exchange of ideas and information among librarians working at institutions with small map collections; Works with other committees to develop ideas for programs and publications. A meeting will be scheduled for Philadelphia and announcements about the meeting will be sent to MAPS-L, PLA-L, and GOVDOC-L.

AACCCM Costs: The request to help defray the costs of the MAGERT representative to the AACCCM meeting taking place this fall in Washington, DC, was approved.

Government Documents Round Table: GODORT will be sending a ballot out to its members between July 15 and July 30 to determine whether GODORT will be dissolved as a Round Table so that it can be reconstituted as a section of ASCLA. Most of the members speaking at the June 29 evening business meeting spoke against the merger. Results of the ballot should be known before Midwinter.

Attempts to secure 75 rooms for a joint GODORT/MAGERT hotel for the ALA Midwinter Meeting in Philadelphia were rejected by the hotels and convention bureau. ALA has locked up all of the available rooms in desirable hotels. The suggestion has been made that MAGERT members wishing to stay at the same hotel should all fax their housing requests to the ALA Housing Office at the first available opportunity. A hotel name can be posted to MAPS-L when ALA housing request forms become available.

IFLA: Melissa Lamont and Alice Hudson will be submitted as new representatives to IFLA. The order of their terms will be determined in further discussions.

CCISA: If the Congress of Cartographic Information Specialists Associations (CCISA) meeting takes place during the International Cartographic Association (ICA) meeting in Ottawa, MAGERT will be asked to make an allocation to assist in the cost of the meeting. MAGERT has supported the meeting with an up to $100 allocation in the past. It was decided to approve the contribution in principle but determine the amount closer to the meeting in consultation with ACMLA.

Also $50 have been requested by Cartographic Users Advisory Council (CUAC) in conjunction with their meeting in May.

Committee, Discussion Group, and Officer Reports

Publications Committee

The Publications Committee met on Saturday. Mark Thomas gave the report on base line. After negotiations with ALA regarding sending payments to the mailing service on time, base line is being sent out in a more timely manner.

The current Meridian should be out later this summer or early fall. The guest editor ran into some unexpected delays. The issue will include articles on the national mapping of other countries such as France, China, and Russia as well as articles on Sanborn maps and Richard Hakluyt and the Hakluyt Society publications.

Issue 15 of Meridian on women in cartography is coming along well and should be out on schedule in January 1999. David Cobb will be editor through issue 16, which will be out in July 1999 and will be on map librarianship at the millennium. This will also be international in scope and some planning continues. The search is on for a new editor for Meridian while Donna continues to get articles in the pipeline. Currently under development are articles on the various national geographic societies of the various countries and maps in the serial sets/parliamentary papers.

The future of the Guide to U.S. Map Resources was discussed and didn't come to any firm conclusions. The Committee will continue to explore the future of this publication. They discussed whether to move to an electronic version or to maintain it as a print guide. There appears to be advantages both ways. A planning committee was established to investigate what should be done. The committee consists of Steve Rogers, David Allen, Brent Allison, Jeff Kosokoff, Donna Koepp (chair), and David Cobb as a consultant. Donna will talk with ALA Editions to get their thoughts on putting out a print edition if the decision is made to make the guide available electronically. ALA Editions has the right of first refusal since they published the first two editions. It might be possible to do a brief directory on the web (name, institution, telephone number, e-mail, and address) and a fuller analysis of the collection in a printed form of the guide. There are some real advantages to having ALA Editions issue the publication.

In discussions at the meeting, the possibility of issuing an Occasional Paper on the mapping of the ocean bottoms. Marie Tharp has expressed interest in writing something on the topic and was looking for a publisher. Gary North will follow up with Marie on this.

There may be another electronic publication on the web site on information on metadata for map librarians. There is a group for reviewing the electronic publications before they are mounted.

The Committee is looking for a new review editor as well.

Treasurer's Report

Through the end of April, MAGERT's total revenues for the current fiscal year were approximately $8000 and total expenses were roughly $10,300. Our expenses in large part are due to the cost of printing and distributing base line and Meridian issues #12 and #13 during the year.

Once again this year we have a large carryover balance of $16,276. With Meridian back on a regular publishing schedule this large carryover amount has decreased and will continue to shrink as expenses are posted for the next few issues of Meridian. Overall, MAGERT's finances are in accord with its budget for this fiscal year.

[The Treasurer's balance sheet is included in this issue of base line. — ed.]

Cataloging and Classification Committee

[See the full discussion of the Cataloging and Classification Committee meeting in this issue of base line and related liaison reports later in these minutes. — ed.]

The program on Saturday went very well. Seventy-five packets were prepared and only three were left at the end. Gratitude was expressed for all who contributed to the program.

The meeting of the committee began with a MARBI report from Susan Moore. Susan reported that there were several MARBI proposals (98-11, 98-12, 98-14, 98-16) and a discussion paper (number 110) of interest to the cartographic community.

Ellen Caplan, the OCLC representative, asked everyone to be on the lookout for changes involving electronic resources. Ellen also asked that OCLC documentation be checked when type code changes are needed. She asked that these procedures be followed rather than contacting her by phone.

Elizabeth Mangan reported that the Anglo-American Cataloging Committee on Cartographic Materials will meet September 8-14 in Washington, D.C. to complete the revision of Cartographic Materials: a Manual of Interpretation for AACR2. The revised guidelines will include new rules to accommodate FGDC spatial data standards.

Barbara Story reported on the Geography and Map Division at LC. The Division is now cataloging cartographic electronic resource material. Selection of material to be cataloged is based upon the "Guidelines for Distinguishing Cartographic Materials on Computer File Carrier from Other Materials on Computer Files Carriers." Bibliographic records for cartographic material that was formerly on the LC database as computer file material has been converted to the maps portion of the database and coded as cartographic material (type e).

The National Digital Library staff in G&M expect to complete the scanning and cataloging of the panoramic maps collection. They have begun working on a collection of 623 19th century railroad maps of the United States. These are being cataloged using a modified form of AACR1 based on the information in a published bibliography and will have an encoding level of 5.

Two contractors have completed a project to catalog a sample (3,000 items) from the Division's Titled Collection. The project was to test the use of "adequate level" cataloging for this older arrearage. This material has an encoding level of z (other).

In the process of cataloging digital cartographic material, G&M has experimented with the use of uncontrolled index terms for form/genre access in the field 653 and is considering a proposal to the subject authority file.

Barbara announced that Ralph Ehrenberg will retire as Chief effective July 30, 1998. Ralph has completed 37 years of federal services; 19 of those years have been at LC.

Elizabeth Mangan reported on CC:DA. She noted that there is a new task force on rule 0.24. The task force will be looking at how to rewrite the cardinal rule of content versus carrier. Elizabeth also said that the Metadata Task Force is being broadened to include TEI. She also reported on a "reuse project" to work with the Germans so that their cataloging code is more in line with ours. Elizabeth noted that an area of concern for the Germans is multilevel cataloging. There is also a new task force on seriality that is looking at the whole issue of seriality for language material.

There will be a special issue of the Cataloging and Classification Quarterly that will be devoted to the cataloging of cartographic materials. The issue will be published in March 1999. The guest editors for the issue are Mary Larsgaard and Paige Andrew. Several MAGERT members will be contributing to this issue.

There will be two participants in LC's summer project. Lucinda Hall from the University of Minnesota and Dwight Walsh from the Citadel will be the participants.

Education Committee

Present: Deborah Wassertzug (chair); Peter Linberger, Victoria Packard, Joe Winkler (members); David Allen, Christine Kollen, Karl Longstreth (visitors).

Discussion began with the issue of our article on curriculum suggestions for map librarianship. This article was submitted to the Journal of Education for Library and Information Science (JELIS). It was rejected for publication, and our discussion focused on what our options are now.

David Allen recommended that the committee send the article to ERIC, because it is almost certain to be published as an ERIC document, and this would make our article retrievable by researchers using the ERIC database to search for map librarianship literature. It was agreed by the committee that this would be a useful step towards making the information available, and Chris Kollen, who is in possession of the final manuscript, volunteered to submit it to ERIC.

Beyond ERIC, we discussed the fact that ALISE, the organization of LIS educators, meets prior to ALA, and we considered the possibility of presenting a program based on the article at that conference, which would be a more logical forum than ALA for this type of information. Deborah Wassertzug will contact ALISE, through her connection to the ALA Education Assembly, and investigate the possibility of presenting such a program. Committee members also discussed the possibility of excerpting the article and using portions of it to be published as brief articles in journals whose focus is reference or cataloging. The appendices we prepared to the article, which include outlines on major topics related to map librarianship that could be covered in LIS courses, may be posted on the MAGERT web site.

Discussion then turned to the electronic publications section of the MAGERT web site. There are currently two MAGERT publications there. A previous project of the Education Committee, which consisted of a list of links to GIS and computer mapping tutorials available on the web, is in need of updating. Deborah Wassertzug and Chris Kollen will work on this task. Peter Linberger will post the findings of his survey on map librarianship education, which was conducted in preparation for the article. Victoria Packard volunteered to compile a list of vendors of printed maps to include on the MAGERT site, and the committee agreed that restricting the focus of this list to vendors of printed maps was preferable, since vendors of GIS and spatial data are so numerous.

Deborah Wassertzug indicated that, due to her change in jobs and a substantial change in responsibilities, she would only be able to chair the committee for another year, after which another chair will need to be in place.

GeoTech Committee and GIS Discussion Group

The GeoTech Forum discussion had 18 attendees. There were three general topics: What is the service for geospatial data in libraries; What is the role of the library in relation to the role of the lab; and What is the defined user community? There was a good discussion by the group.

The last thirty minutes was the business meeting at which the New Orleans speaker seekers were confirmed. Currently have six potential speakers, which is probably one too many. A request for feedback on the GeoTech program Monday afternoon was given. The Committee will continue to pursue sponsoring programs stemming from the discussion group as a self-educating mechanism. There was some discussion of planning for a Census 2000 pre-conference to be sponsored jointly with MAGERT, LITA, and GODORT. The session would probably be in 2001.

The program went well. The focus was on FGDC and the cooperative grant partnership and the opportunities for libraries to get funding to enter into the national spatial data infrastructure and especially the notion on metadata and cataloging information. The fact that the session was held in Washington really helped in getting speakers.

Honors and Awards

Thanks were expressed for the work put in by the committee and the work given by the honoree, Vi Moorhouse.

Program for Washington 1998

Appreciation was expressed to those who worked and contributed to the success of the sessions held this year.

Program for New Orleans 1999

The Program Committee meeting was well attended. Currently planning on three programs: one sponsored by the GeoTech Committee on partnering and alliances between libraries and other entities; another on reference service in public libraries using map resources (investigate co-sponsorship with RUSA and maybe PLA); and a program on the Mississippi River and its relationship with New Orleans including some stuff on GIS.

Membership Committee

Membership is static, which is probably good. Fourteen of the eighteen round tables have lost members while three round tables gained a small number. Recruitment should continue, but we're doing okay.

Setting up the booth turned out to be very problematic. Joe spent an hour trying to get in to the area and then spent another hour to an hour and a half trying to get a table. The booth actually was set up after the exhibits opened. The option of getting an exhibitor's badge for setup will be explored. It was felt that the booth was poorly positioned this year. The problems will be mentioned to ALA to see if any improvements for next year can be made.

In the Sunday's Fun Run/Walk, two MAGERT members finished in the top ten. Paul Stout came in first among the male participants in the 1.5 mile walk with a time of 14:56 and David Cobb came in fourth amongst the male participants in the 5 K run with a time of 18:42.

ALCTS/MAGERT Cataloging and Classification Discussion Group

Discussion continued on the topic we had at Midwinter, which was the cataloging of electronic cartographic resources. Other topics came up as well and the session was reasonably well attended.

Federal Spatial Information Discussion Group

Eighteen people attended the Federal Spatial Data Information Discussion Group meeting, including two agency employees (Vi Moorhouse from GPO and Rea Mueller of USGS). After introductions, Mark Thomas gave a brief summary of what went on at the Cartographic User's Advisory Council (CUAC) meeting in Reston, VA on May 7-8. Others in attendance at the CUAC meeting (Dan Seldin of Indiana University along with the two Federal Agency personnel) helped clarify issues. Please look for the CUAC minutes in an upcoming issue of base line for the complete overview. More highlights from the USGS include: the digital National Atlas is now online; there will be an increase in the number of 1:24,000 topographic quadrangle maps being revised in the near future (although there are no plans to revise other topographic series); and there are plans to revamp the rules for inclusion into the Open File Report series to make it more of a unified series rather than just a collection of odds and ends.

Reports from Liaisons and Representatives

Research Libraries Collection Management Group

The group met with reports from the attendees on what is going on in different institutions in terms of collections and their collection of spatial information in both traditional and non-traditional formats. Also discussed was the possibility of having a different focus for the group. Currently the group does function well as a means of sharing what is occurring in the attending institutions but it was felt that bringing a different topic of discussion to the meeting would also be beneficial. The group is currently looking for a chair. Karl will chair the group in a year from now.

CC:DA

A number of issues came up that are of interest to the cartographic community. One was a report on the Reuse Project by Herr Ebersberg from Germany. This is a project of OCLC, LC, and the Germans which is attempting to bring AACR2 and their cataloging rules into harmonization. The major stumbling block is that the Germans do multi-level cataloging and although AACR2 and USMARC support multi-level cataloging the practice in the United States has been not to do multi-level cataloging. The Germans are pushing for a change in practice so that each physical item, particularly multi-part items like multi-volume monographs, gets a bibliographic record. Their argument is that in our country you do the record for the bibliographic thing as an entity all together, then each individual library has to key in holdings information whereas if you have records already for the physical pieces you only have to do that once and the libraries can get the records for the parts. Their argument is that multi-level cataloging will actually help this situation. Since the rules don't need to be changed and USMARC doesn't need to be changed, it is uncertain how this change in practice would come about. Guidance would probably come from the Library of Congress's Cataloging Policy and Support Office. Further discussions will probably take place.

There was a report from the CONSER Task Force on Seriality, which was an outgrowth of the international cataloging conference that was held last fall. The diagram that was part of their report (which is on the web in a number of places, including the LC/CONSER pages) divides the bibliographic world into monographic entities (complete as first issued) and ongoing entities (not complete as first issued). The ongoing entities are further subdivided into successive entities with discrete parts (which is further divided into determinate (number of issues known at outset) and indeterminate (number of issues not known)) and integrating entities (includes loose-leaf, databases, and web sites). There was a great deal of concern from CC:DA, especially from a serials cataloging representative, that we don't want serial catalogers determining the cataloging treatment for all materials. This will continue to be closely watched by CC:DA. Some problems stem from the fact that there is not currently a definition of the terms being used in the diagram. Once definitions are received, those familiar with cartographic cataloging will look at where cartographic materials fit in. Currently, the diagram has been developed looking at language materials, so other materials may not be adequately represented.

The Task Force on Rule 0.24 gave a report. This is the task force looking at the concept of cataloging the intellectual content of an item and not the carrier. The task force did meet at this conference and will be working via electronic mail during the next year.

ALA Editions has submitted the SGML version of AACR2 to members of the Joint Steering Committee for review. They have a ten-day turn around time to get back ALA Editions to let them know if the version is approved for release. If permission is received, ALA Editions expect to be able to master a final version of the SGML and the Folio Views version of the file by early August. It will be a component of the Cataloger's Desktop available through LC's Cataloging Distribution Service by issue 4, which will be the October/November issue. This will also increase the cost of Cataloger's Desktop because of the licensing fee for AACR2R. ALA Editions will be printing a new version of AACR2R from the SGML which will include the 1997 additions. There are currently no plans to publish the 1997 additions separately. This would force everyone to buy new copies. At the request of CC:DA, ALA Editions is going to reconsider publishing the amendments separately.

There was a report from the Task Force on Metadata and Cataloging Rules. They basically looked at two metadata standards (TEI and Dublin Core) and drew some conclusions. They admitted that this doesn't cover all metadata formats, so CC:DA now has two metadata task forces. One will be chaired by Mary Larsgaard and will have membership from MARBI on it, which will be an overall task force to keep view on metadata and how it fits into the cataloging rules and USMARC. They also established a second task force to evaluate and analyze other specific metadata standards against the cataloging rules. The meeting ended with an hour joint meeting with MARBI, which was very productive. They talked about conceptual issues in cataloging, such as reorganizing the rules into having chapters by area instead of by format.

Anglo-American Cataloging Committee for Cartographic Materials

The Committee will meet at the Library of Congress in early September of this year in what is planned to be the final meeting prior to publication of the second edition of Cartographic Materials: A Manual of Interpretation for AACR2[r] (CM).

During the last 6 months, the following work has been accomplished:

a. Paige Andrew has gone through the glossary and added suggested additions and changes.

b. Dorothy McGarry has gone through the revisions (that is additions and changes) requested by the Canadian and U.S. representatives and has divided them into two sets of files for the convenience of all other members:

i. additions or changes to AACR2R by the Joint Steering Committee, which must be reflected in CM and typos. In neither case do these require discussion. ii. matters requiring discussionthat is, substantive changes being requested.

c. Mary Larsgaard arranged to have the work done by Paige and Dorothy put up on the password-protected AACCCM web site in early May, and then announced it to the AACCCM email reflector. Unfortunately, the alias seems to have suffered bit rot and no one heard about it, so Mary will find out the problem and notify AACCCM members of the availability of these files, in mid-July.

d. Staff of the Map and Imagery Lab, UCSB Library, set up an email reflector for the U.S. members of AACCCM. Since each country has one vote, member of the U.S. contingent must talk matters over and come to agreement if at all possible before the September meeting.

Left to be done: Mary Larsgaard is to complete writing up the remaining third of the new rules for digital geospatial data in late July. Betsy Mangan wrote up the first two-thirds of the rules in November of 1995. Also, the Secretariat of AACCCM (LC G&M) will be checking into how changes to ISBDinevitable with all the new fields for digital geospatial dataare to be submitted.

Mary Larsgaard has requested partial support from the MAGERT Board for airfare, Santa BarbaraDCSanta Barbara; she has requested the same financial support from the Board of the Western Association of Map Libraries, for which organization she is also a representative.

Betsy Mangan has checked with ALA Publications concerning copyright, which ALA has said will not be a problem. She will also be checking with Publications to verify that they are still interested in publishing the second edition.

Congress of Cartographic Information Specialists Associations

Alice Hudson will continue to work with the International Cartographic Association and others as well. In relation to this, Karl received the following communiqué:

On behalf of the Executive and all members of the Association of Canadian Map Libraries and Archives , I wish you and all participants in the MAGERT meetings at the ALA conference in Washington, DC the very best and hopes for a successful and informative event. We look forward to working with you as we approach the 1999 meeting of the ICA in Ottawa. We hope many of you, our friends and colleagues, will be able to join us in a very exciting and important conference for all in the cartographic and geographic information community.

Warmest Regards,

James Boxall,

President, ACMLA

GODORT Joint Committee on Rare and Endangered Government Documents

The Committee is still following up on the serial set survey that was done. They are currently trying to establish how to put together a union list so that they can establish a complete list of the serial set that would be held by several libraries. One result of the survey was that there is apparently no one library that holds a truly complete set of the serial set.

David Allen will be resigning from the committee. Donna Koepp is interested in filling his position on the committee. Alice Hudson expressed interest in being the second representative to this committee.

International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions

IFLA will be held in Amsterdam in August of 1998. Alice Hudson will be giving a talk on what's happening in New Amsterdam (a.k.a. New York). Chris Baruth will be speaking on maps of Holland in the AGS collection. There will be a number of visits to map libraries and mapping organizations. This would be the second year that IFLA would have offered a GIS workshop. However, conversations with Jan Smits indicated that LIBER (the European ALA) would be in Krakow in September. This has had an impact on attendance for IFLA, as many librarians have been unable to obtain funding for two international conferences in the space of two months. As one of the goals of the GIS workshops has been to get ArcView into as many map libraries as possible, the suggestion was made to hold the GIS workshop at LIBER instead of IFLA. Negotiations continue on this issue.

There was some concern on holding the GIS workshop in Bangkok, which is the site of the next IFLA meeting. Patrick McGlammery is working with the Royal Survey of Thailand and especially with the Asian Institute of Technology, which has a GIS laboratory. Pat will also be talking to representatives of ESRI Asia about provision of copies of ArcView. Things seem to be working fairly well for now.

Patrick also attended the New Information Technology Conference in Hanoi in March and presented a talk on spatial data in libraries and downloading spatial information on a hand held computer. He was able to make some contacts with Vietnamese and Thai librarians interested in spatial data, which may help for IFLA Bangkok.

Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division

G&M Centennial: On the evening of November 20, 1997, more than 300 members and guests of the Phillips Society and the Center for Geographic Information and leading map publishers and government officials gathered in the Great Hall of the Library of Congress's Jefferson Building to begin a three-day commemoration of the Division's centenary.

Although maps have been collected by the Library of Congress since its establishment in 1800, it was not until 1897 that a separate administrative unit was created to organize and preserve the growing map collection of some 28,000 maps and atlases. Originally named the Hall of Maps and Charts, this new unit was led by Philip Lee Phillips, who had joined the staff of the Library of Congress in 1875. From its modest beginning, the Hall of Maps and Charts evolved during the following 100 years into one of the great map collections of the world, with holdings of over 4.6 million maps and 60,000 atlases.

During the celebration activities, four pioneers in the field of cartography were recognized for their significant contributions to the field: Arthur Robinson, Hal Shelton, Marie Tharp, and Alan Voorhees. "Meet the Mapmakers," on Friday afternoon, provided a forum for each of these pioneers to relate some of their experiences in working in the field of cartography and to answer questions concerning their work.

The final session of the program focused on the history of the Division and was chaired by Diane Kresh, Director for Public Service Collections, and presented by Ralph Ehrenberg, chief since 1991, Walter Ristow, assistant/associate chief 1946-1968 and chief 1968-1978, John Wolter, assistant chief 1968-1978 and chief 1978-1991, and Mary Larsgaard giving a "co-worker's view" of the Division. This proved to be a most enjoyable and informative remembrance of the Division, especially to the staff.

Phillips Society: The Phillips Society annual dinner was held March 12, 1998. A tribute was accorded to Wally Ristow on the occasion of his 90th birthday in April. The Phillips Society first occasional paper, A Separate Apartment for Maps and Atlases in the Library of Congress, by Philip Lee Phillips, compiled and edited by Richard W. Stephenson, was made available following the dinner. The first copy was presented to John Jameson, the grandson of Philip Lee Phillips as well as J. Franklin Jameson, founder of the National Archives.

The next Phillips Society annual meeting will be April 22-24, 1999 in Richmond, Virginia in conjunction with Map Symposium sponsored by the Library of Virginia.

Adopt-a-map: In February the Library offered the opportunity to Adopt-a-Book during an acquisitions/preservation fund-raising event for friends of the Library. The items offered for adoption were in the price range of $50 to $500. The 20 maps that were adopted raised the second largest amount of money for acquisitions among the 13 divisions which participated in the event. The adopter of each item will be identified through a label attached to the item as well as in the bibliographic record.

Acquisitions: Sohon Collection. The descendants of Gustavus Sohon (1825-1903) donated a collection of twelve manuscript maps, fourteen pencil sketches, and two segments of field notes, representing Sohon's work as a cartographer and artist on the Pacific Railroad and the Mullan Road surveys in the Pacific Northwest during the 1850's.

Transfers from the National Imagery and Mapping Agency. The Geography and Map Division's largest single source of cartographic acquisitions in FY97 was the 33,615 series sheet maps transferred from the National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA). This is the third year in a row in which we have received large transfers from NIMA and its predecessor, the Defense Mapping Agency (DMA). This group again was composed primarily of large scale topographic series of Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union, and China and reflects the continuing weeding of federal map libraries as more current cartographic resources for these areas become available. These receipts have greatly enhanced our collections of large scale Russian and Soviet mapping.

Pair of 13-inch terrestrial and celestial globes manufactured by James Wilson. This pair of Wilson globes was purchased for the Library by the Philip Lee Phillips Society. Wilson (1763-1855), America's first commercially successful globe maker, was a skilled blacksmith and craftsman of Bradford, Vermont and was primarily self-taught in geography, cartography, and the engraving and printing techniques of globe production. The 1819 Wilson terrestrial globe is a revision of his first dated (1811) globe; the celestial globe is most likely an 1821 edition and it is the earliest Wilson celestial globe in the Library's collections. His globes were up-to-date and accurate as well as beautifully crafted works. Wilson promoted his "American globes" as equal to their European competition. Globes had a cultural significance and played an important educational role in nineteenth century America.

Cedid Atlas Tercumesi [New atlas]. Six Library divisions joined together to purchase a copy of the very rare Cedid Atlas Tercumesi. Funds were provided by the African and Middle Eastern, European, Hispanic, Rare Book and Special Collections, and Overseas Operations divisions as well as the Geography and Map Division where the volume is housed. This leather-bound atlas was published in 1803 in Istanbul by the Ottoman Military Engineering School Press. Composed of 24 maps, it is the first Muslim-published world atlas based on European geographic knowledge and cartographic methods. The atlas was produced to provide modern geographic information for the students and teachers at the new military engineering school and for officials in the Ottoman War and Foreign Ministries during the Ottoman's efforts to implement reforms based on European models.

Military Maps Solicitation: The Library of Congress is undertaking an initiative to identify and acquire cartographic material which document military operations. The Library is committed to preserving these national treasures and making them available to the widest possible audience.

While the Library of Congress holds the largest map collection in the world, including an extensive collection of topographic maps issued during wartime, it lacks examples of maps actually used in war planning and combat operations. Maps that record the military experience of our nation's heroes are an important addition to the Library's collections and help tell the story of how maps were used during our nation's wars. Each donated map will be preserved and cataloged with full credit given to the donor. These maps will be housed along with those produced or used by noted American soldiers of the past, including George Washington, Andrew Jackson, Robert E. Lee, George B. McClellan, and William Tecumseh Sherman.

National Digital Library Project: As of June 23, 1998 there are 1,328 maps in the American Memory Maps Collection. The arrangement for Map Collections is based on seven categories: Cities and towns; Conservation and Environment; Discovery and Exploration; General Maps; Immigration and Settlement; Military Battles and Campaigns; and Transportation and Communication. Sub-categories or collections include Panoramic Maps (1,176 images), Railroad Maps (58 images), American Colonization Society Maps (20 images), and maps of Yellowstone National Park (25 images). There are also 49 maps available in the various categories that are not part of any of the collections.

A presentation on the national parks scheduled for the end of the year will include maps of four or five additional parks. Work on the Sanborn presentation is progressing and we have begun investigating funding for the scanning of the Civil War maps.

The MrSID compressed images are now available for downloading for use on your PC with the MrSID viewer, which is available for free from LizardTech's home page.

Staffing: Barbara Christy retired on April 18th following 20 years of service as an atlas cataloger and a reference librarian.

Five new catalogers have been hired since July 1997. Although they will catalog all forms of cartographic materials, thus far three have been trained in maps and two in atlases. Two catalogers are now doing digital materials as part of their regular assignment.

Contractors: The Geography and Map Division currently has four contractors working on arrearage material. Gary North is the contractor with a sub-contractor to organize and describe the Hausen/Tharp collection of source materials on the mapping of the ocean floor. A retired National Archives employee is describing maps that have been removed from brittle books before microfilming. The fourth contractor is working on filing much of the Cyrillic alphabet set material transferred from NIMA. Additionally, two contractors just finished this month with a pilot project to create online bibliographic records for approximately 3,000 items from the Titled Collection. The items controlled include all maps of the U.S. as a whole, some thematic U.S. maps, and some world maps.

Ralph Ehrenberg, Chief of the Geography and Map Division has announced his retirement effective July 30, 1998. Ralph has completed 37 years of federal service, 19 of those years at the Library in the Geography and Map Division.

Karl thanked Betsy, Barbara, and Ralph for the open house that the Geography and Map Division held for MAGERT Saturday evening before the All-Conference Reception.

Library and Information Technology Association

Members of the GODORT/LITA/MAGERT task force will be in touch with each other after this ALA. They agreed that this would help share the information that they gleaned from their various meetings.

Machine-Readable Bibliographic Information Committee (MARBI)

There was a very full slate of proposals and discussion papers before MARBI this meeting as well as the joint meeting with CC:DA.

One proposal that came before the committee was 98-7 (Recording Incorrect Dates in Field 008/06-14 in the USMARC Bibliographic Format). The proposal was modified at the meeting so that all corrected dates would be recorded in the 008 field and all incorrect dates would be recorded in the 046. The modified version passed.

On Sunday afternoon, two proposals from NIMA were discussed and voted on. Proposal 98-12 concerned adding another indicator value to Field 355 (Security Classification Control) of the bib format to indicate that the bibliographic record itself was not to be distributed. This proposal passed. The other proposal was 98-14 which would broaden Field 052 to allow the recording of other coding standards for geopolitical entities. This passed with some modification.

Discussion Paper 110 concerned additional coding in the 007 Field for computer files to record information on digitally reformatted and preserved materials. Some discussion concerning creating a separate 007 for these materials occurred, however, the predominate feeling of the group was to add the codes to the existing 007. A proposal will come forward, possibly in New Orleans.

Proposal 98-11 (Changes to the USMARC Holdings/Bibliographic Formats Resulting from the New Holdings Standard (Z39.71)) passed in large part. The part that concerned changing the name of the 007 field for maps to the 007 field for cartographic materials did not pass.

Proposal 98-16 (Nonfiling Characters in All Formats) generated a great deal of discussion concerning punctuation, spacing, and diacritics and other special characters. The committee requested further clarification on some issues and the proposal will be revised and brought back.

North American Cartographic Information Society

The next meeting of the North American Cartographic Information Society (NARIS) will be October 7-10, 1998 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In 1999, the meeting will be in Williamsburg, Virginia.

Cartographic Perspectives, the quarterly publication of NACIS, is almost back on publication schedule.

Northeast Map Organization

NEMO held a meeting February 8 and 9 in Dartmouth, Mass. The next meeting will be in Wellesley, Mass. at Wellesley College.

Special Library Association, Geography and Map Division

The 1998 meeting went very well. The full report of the meeting was posted on MAPS-L. The next meeting will be in Minneapolis.

Western Association of Map Libraries

WAML met in September of 1997 in Pasadena at Cal Tech. There was a discussion at that meeting to revise the bylaws to open the membership to the entire North American continent. This was approved by 2/3 of the membership in the Spring of 1998. The only exception is that the meetings will usually be held in the western region, as is traditional. In March of 1998, a meeting was held at Stanford. The next meeting will be at the Library of Congress in September of 1998. The next meeting will be the first weekend in May, 1999 at Cal State, Long Beach.


Folger Shakespeare Library: A reminder that the tour of the exhibit will be Tuesday afternoon at 1:00.

The reins of power were turned over to David Allen.

The meeting adjourned at 11.

Susan Moore