Executive Board I

Saturday, June 27, 1998

Karl Longstreth called the meeting to order at 8:05 a.m.

Announcements

Danielle Alderson was unable to attend this ALA annual meeting.

The Geography and Map Division will be having an open house for MAGERT members from 6-8 p.m. on Saturday. This will precede the All-Conference Reception that will be held in the Jefferson Building.

A tour of the Folger Library and the current exhibition has been arranged for 2:00 PM on Tuesday, June 30th.

Minutes

The minutes of the Midwinter meeting were approved as published.

Round Table Coordinating Committee

Discussion continued on Council representation for the twelve smaller Round Tables. The current proposal is that each Round Table may nominate someone to run. There was some indications that a Round Table could nominate more than one person for the seat. More discussion of how to work the details out will be held. The results may require changes to the bylaws.

New Items

Mary Larsgaard has suggested that MAGERT support the History of Cartography Project at the University of Wisconsin. A number of organizations have contributed to the project in a variety of ways. Alice Hudson suggested that perhaps an ongoing contribution would be more helpful than a one-time gift. Karl will investigate further and the matter will be discussed at Executive Board II.

Karl was contacted by Carol Ericson about MAGERT's International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions representatives. He had thought that Pat McGlammery and Melissa Lamont were our current representatives. Alice Hudson has also expressed interest. Karl will follow up on this.

MAGERT does not currently have representatives on ALA Literacy Assembly, ALA Membership Promotion Task Force, or ALA Planning and Budget Assembly. After some discussion, the Board agreed that the Treasurer should be the representative to the Planning and Budget Assembly and the Membership Committee Chair should be the representative to the ALA Membership Promotion Task Force.

The International Cartographic Association will be meeting in August of 1999 in Ottawa. They have sent an appeal to Karl to encourage MAGERT members to attend. In conjunction with this conference, the Congress of Cartographic Information Specialists Associations will meet. Alberta Woods felt that since so many members of the various Canadian and other cartographic associations will be in Ottawa that the timing would work for a CCISA meeting. Alice Hudson has suggested having a panel discussion featuring representatives from all the groups (three from Canada and three from the U.S.) as well as a break-out session to share common concerns. Focus of the panel discussion include filling vacant professional positions with professionals, that map collections be staffed at levels appropriate to the research use, that demands for technology transfer from paper to electronic be recognized and that strategies for making better use of the new technologies be developed, cooperative map publications, and a possible international conference in Canada about electronic publications. More information will be posted on MAPS-L.

A request was received from the AACCCM representative to assist in funding for attending the meeting that will take place in the fall. There was general agreement that when someone is representing MAGERT to meetings other than ALA that the Board give some support for travel.

Karl worked on getting vendor support for the reception on Friday. The reception was very well received and the vendors contributing to the success were thanked.

Brent Allison has volunteered to be a representative to the Cartographic Users Advisory Council. In the CUAC meeting, there was a request that the member agencies give a contribution to the Council.

A reminder that the National Building Museum has an exhibit on Planning Washington's Monumental Core: From L'Enfant to Legacy. There's also a great gift shop.

Meeting adjourned at 8:39 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Susan Moore, Secretary