Home > Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
Each department conducts their own searches, so positions have to be applied to individually. Proper routing and following the specific application procedure noted on each posting is crucial to the success of your job search. Always refer to the Reference number, included in all postings, so we may better assist you. Presently we don't have the ability to keep resumes on file.
All of our positions have basic requirements. As long as you meet all of the Required Qualifications of a position, you are eligible to apply; be sure that you clearly state how you meet these requirements. Your chances of being interviewed increase when you meet some/all of the Preferred Qualifications.
Stony Brook University offers a range of both State and Research Foundation employment vacancies, which change weekly. Detailed vacancy information is made available in the following formats:
- Find positions of interest by visiting www.stonybrook.edu/jobs.
- Sign on for our email subscription service by category at http://www.stonybrook.edu/jobs/subscription.shtml. As we post new positions each Sunday, this service will notify you each following Monday of only what's new.
- Visit our office. On-line access to our employment opportunities is made available in the Human Resource Services office, room 390 in the Administration Building. Enter through the University's Main entrance, off of Nicolls Road; the building is next to the parking garage and we are located on the third floor, first door on your left when you exit the elevators. You may also visit the Hospital Human Resources office at 3 Technology Drive, Suite 100, in East Setauket, or The LI State Veterans Home Human Resources office at 100 Patriots Rd., Stony Brook, NY.
- Look for us in the newspaper and other publications. We advertise in newspapers such as Newsday, The New York Times, The Chronicle of Higher Education, discipline specific journals, and local newspapers.
When you have identified a job of interest you will want to follow the instructions on how to submit your resume/application according to the position description (found on www.stonybrook.edu/jobs.) Find the position by its Category and select the posting that you are interested in. The application procedures can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page. This area will advise you on whom to address your information and any materials that the Search Committee is requesting in order to consider you for the search.
- On-line Resume submission – This is offered for a majority of the searches, but not always. If it is, you will find an "Apply on-line" star under the application procedures, but the actual link will be on the bottom of the posting in the blue "Resources" box; please note you can attach up to two files.
- Adjunct teaching positions – Submit a letter of interest and Curriculum Vitae directly to the Chair of the department in which you are interested.
- Applications/resumes need to be received in the office of the search by the closing date specified on the individual job posting. Documentation post marked on closing date will not be accepted and your resume/application will not be included in the applicant pool for consideration.
If you have any further questions, please contact us at HRS_Recruiting@stonybrook.edu or (631) 632-1129.