Federal and State Tax Returns

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) withholds money from your paycheck for US Federal/State taxes. You are required to file the appropriate forms with the IRS whether or not you have earned income in a fiscal year. PLEASE NOTE: Federal/State Tax Returns are due on April 17, 2012 for the fiscal year 2011.

Detailed information is available at the IRS website for F-1/J-1 Students and Scholars. CLICK Here.

The University at Buffalo has a very useful webinar that explains the process of completing Federal Income Tax Returns. Click here to go to their site.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
–Federal Tax Forms
–State Tax Forms
–Form 8843
–Form 1040NR

New York State Taxes

NAFSA has also provided a brochure which is simpler and easier to read, and explains in detail "What is a Tax Return," "Who Must file a Tax Return," "Where to Get Help Locally," and other pertinent information. You can download the brochure here.

*Please note that material presented on this page has not been approved by the IRS or U.S. Treasury. In addition, Visa and Immigration Services staff cannot answer detailed questions pertaining to your Income Tax Return. Please attend the workshop for additional information.