Scholarships and Other Aid

If you are receiving a state or private scholarship or any other aid, the award may not be listed on your Financial Aid Award Notice. It is your responsibility to report scholarships you have received that are not listed on the Financial Aid Award Notice. This may be done by adding them directly on-line on SOLAR, or by calling the office with the information. Please be advised that the receipt of a scholarship may alter the composition of the total financial aid package. In this case, you will receive a SOLAR message advising you of the changes.

Nursing Scholarship Program (NSP)

The Nursing Scholarship Program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, awards scholarships to individuals for attendance at Schools of Nursing. The scholarship consists of payment for tuition, fees, other reasonable educational costs, and a monthly support stipend. In return, the students agree to provide a minimum of 2 years of full-time clinical service at a health care facility with a critical shortage of nurses. For application and information visit:

Graduate Tuition Waiver

Full or partial Graduate tuition scholarships (GTS) are available to eligible students depending on their program of study. Academic departments determine the eligibility and amount of the award and notify the recipients. If you are enrolled in the full-time PhD programs in Basic Sciences or Social Welfare, a graduate tuition waiver may be listed on the award notice.

The School of Nursing administers a Nursing grant to provide tuition waiver awards for eligible graduate students. Awards are determined and posted to the student's University accounts after the semester starts.

W. Burghardt Turner Fellowship

This is a Graduate Fellowship Program for eligible underrrepresented students in specific professional programs including Nursing (M.S.), Physical Therapy (M.S., D.P.T.), Dental Medicine (D.D.S.), Medicine (M.D., M.D./Ph.D), and Social Welfare (M.S.W., Ph.D). For application procedures, contact the appropriate program and for general information visit:

Veterans Affairs

If you are inaterested in applying for benefits under any of the VA educational assistance programs, please contact Stony Brook's Office of Veterans Affairs. For additional information, visit New York State HESC Web site.