Students and parents may link to the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to help provide accurate tax information when completing their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The IRS DRT will be available early February 2013 for the 2013-2014 application. This tool provides a faster and more accurate method of completing the FAFSA.
FOR NEW UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS: Our Priority FAFSA filing deadline is March1, 2013. This will allow us to provide transfer applicants with their financial aid award packages in a timely fashion. You may estimate income data on the fafsa application. Once taxes are filed you will need to update your fafsa with correct income data from taxes.
FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS AND CONTINUING UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS: Because we are encouraging students to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, we are moving our Priority FAFSA Filing deadline to May 1, 2013.
- Complete the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA on-line
- Filling out your tax return will make completing the FAFSA easier but it is not a requirement.
- The federal code for Stony Brook is 002838.
- NY State Codes:
- Undergraduate - 0875
- Graduate - 5430
- Be sure to answer housing plans by reporting your housing code. DO NOT LEAVE THIS QUESTION BLANK.
- If you are pursuing a first or second bachelorís degree, the level is undergraduate, not graduate/professional.
- NYS residents who complete the FAFSA on the Web can link directly to TAP on the Web (TOTW) which will allow you to apply for TAP and other New York State grants and scholarships.
- Apply for DOE Personal Identification Number (PIN). Using this pin you can sign your FAFSA on the Web electronically as well as check the status of your FAFSA and to make corrections to your Student Aid Report (SAR) online.