Changes in Enrollment

Changes in enrollment may affect your eligibility for financial aid. Please consult with an advisor in the Office of Student Services before you change your enrollment status or withdraw from the University. Aid is generally awarded based on the assumption that you will be full- time. If you enroll for less than full-time, your awards may be adjusted. In order to be eligible for a Federal Direct Loan, you must be enrolled for at least six (6) credits.

For financial aid purposes, students are considered full-time with 12 or more credits, three-quarter time with 9 to 11 credits, half-time with 6 to 8 credits, or less than half-time with 1 to 5 credits. Please be aware that in order to be eligible for TAP or other NYS grants, you must be enrolled for at least 12 credits.

In case of withdrawal from the University, federal regulations require a review of all student aid received in order to determine if the student is still eligible for the full amount. This determination is based on the withdrawal date as processed by the Health Sciences Center Office of Student Services and on the amount of time the student spent in academic attendance. After 60% of the semester has passed, students have earned 100% of the federal financial aid awarded to them. Please note that this federal refund calculation is separate and different from the refund calculation of institutional charges done by the Bursar's Office.

Your eligibility for New York state aid may also be affected depending on your date of withdrawal.