Guidelines for Completing Missing Requirements
Candidates must meet all requirements for admission and are responsible for ensuring that official documentation
(transcripts, test scores, references, and record of experience if applicable) has been received by the Health Sciences Center Office of Student Services.
The letter you have received regarding conditional admission is your second notice of missing requirements; the first was a statement,
which you signed at the time of interview.
Please be reminded that we must have your official transcript(s) from institutions other than Stony Brook University documenting successful completion (i.e., grades of C or better from other institutions) of the following:
- A minimum of 57 semester credits (Baccalaureate degree for PT, PA, and HCPM)
- A minimum overall grade point average of 2.5 (2.75 for PA and 3.0 for PT)
- A minimum of 3 semester hour credits of English composition (WRT 102 from SBU), or transcript documentation that you have passed a proficiency examination in English composition which has waived the requirement for you.
- A minimum of 6 semester hour credits (9 credits for PT) in the area of arts and humanities which, by the School of Health Technology and Management definition, must be from among the following areas:
- English above the composition level (e.g., literature surveys, comparative literature, poetry, drama, fiction)
- Foreign languages taken at the intermediate level or higher (first-year conversational foreign language courses do not meet this requirement)
- Religion/religious studies
- Art history/appreciation
- Music and theater arts (except for studio or performance courses) (Please note that public speaking does not meet this requirement.)
- Clinical Laboratory Sciences
- 8 credits of biology (BIO 150 from SBU does not meet this requirement) and 3 credits of General Microbiology or Microbiology, 12 credits of chemistry (to include inorganic and organic), 3 credits of statistics.
- Physician Assistant
- 11 credits of biology including 3 credits of microbiology; 8 credits of chemistry; 3-4 credits of organic or biochemistry, 3 credits of genetics and 3 credits of statistics. Preference is given to applicants with additional coursework in anatomy and physiology.
- Athletic Training/Physical Therapy
- Calculus (AT)
- 8 credits of biology (including physiology for AT only), 8 credits of chemistry and 8 credits of physics.
- 3 credits of 300 level physiology (PT only).
- Statistics (PT only).
- Respiratory Care
- 11 credits of biology including 3 credits of microbiology, 8 credits of chemistry, 4 credits of physics, and 3 credits of statistics.
- Occupational Therapy
- 8 credits of biology, 4 credits of anatomy, 4 credits of chemistry, 4 credits of physics, and 3 credits of statistics.
- 4 credits of biology, 8 credits of anatomy & physiology,4 credits of chemistry, 4 credits of physics and 3 credits of statistics for HAABS – OTA to OT track.
We also require:
- Three references from the sources indicated in the application (PA only—3 references from CASPA)
- Documentation of health care experience for AT, OT and entry-level PT must include beginning and ending dates, record of hours, and description of duties. (PA documentation provided in CASPA application.)
- Documentation of NYS OTA license and proof of one year post graduation work experience in occupational therapy for HAABS-OTA to OT students.
- Current certification of First Aid (OT and PT programs), CPR (AT, OT and PT programs) and BLS (PA and RC** programs). Note: PA prefers ACLS if you have a critical care background.
- GRE (entry-level PT and HCPM only)
Office of Student Services
HSC Level 2, Room 271
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8276 (Except *)
* PA applicants must send missing documentation directly to A. Perrino, PA Program, HSC, SHTM, L2-428, Stony Brook, NY 11794-8202.
*PT applicants must send missing documentation directly to A. DeChiaro-Pfisterer, PT Program, HSC, SHTM L2-420, Stony Brook, NY 11794-8201.
*OT HAABS applicants must send missing documentation directly to Jamie Geraci, Occupational Therapy Program, HSC, SHTM L2-468, Stony Brook, NY 11794-8206.
**RC requires American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers.