Health Sciences Bulletin

Academic Regulations and Procedures

Degree Requirements

Requirements for the Bachelor of Science

Health Sciences candidates for the Bachelor of Science degree must satisfy all University graduation requirements, as well as the Health Sciences school requirements for the specific degree. At least 120 credit hours of passing work must have been completed for the Bachelor of Science degree. Each candidate must earn at least 39 credits in upper division courses (numbered 300 and higher) and have an overall cumulative grade point average of at least 2.00. Additional grade point average requirements for specific schools are described under each “School” section. Students advanced to the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences program must complete the Stony Brook Curriculum (SBC) requirement.

The following groups of students will complete the general education requirements as defined by the Stony Brook Curriculum, commonly referred to as SBC.  

  • Freshmen who matriculate in the Fall of 2014 or later
  • Transfer students who matriculate in the Spring of 2015 or later
  • Students who matriculate in the School of Nursing Fall 2015 or later
  • Students who matriculate in the School of Social Welfare Fall 2015 or later
  • Students who matriculate in the Athletic Training major, Respiratory Care major, or Clinical Laboratory Sciences major in the Summer of 2016 or later
  • All students matriculating at SUNY Korea
  • Students who rematriculate in the Fall of 2014 or later

Students who are not in the above groups will complete the D.E.C.  D.E.C. requirements for each student are published in the bulletin that was current as of matriculation (or rematriculation).

the stony brook curriculum (sbc)

The Stony Brook Curriculum includes both breadth and depth of study, and ensures that students will learn skills necessary for life-long learning. Use the course search to search for courses that complete SBC learning objectives.

Through the general education curriculum, students will:

DEMONSTRATE VERSATILITY by showing proficiency in each of ten fundamental learning objectives:

  • Explore and Understand the Fine and Performing Arts (ARTS)
  • Engage Global Issues (GLO)
  • Address Problems using Critical Analysis and the Methods of the Humanities (HUM)
  • Communicate in a Human Language Other than English (LANG) (see Note)
  • Master Quantitative Problem Solving (QPS)
  • Understand, Observe, and Analyze Human Behavior and the Structure and Functioning of Society (SBS)
  • Study the Natural World (SNW)
  • Understand Technology (TECH)
  • Understand the Political, Economic, Social, and Cultural History of the United States (USA)
  • Write Effectively in English (WRT) 

Note: CEAS majors, the Athletic Training major, the Respiratory Care major, and the Clinical Laboratory Sciences major are exempt from the LANG learning objective. Students enrolled in the major in Social Work are exempt from the LANG learning objective, but are required to enroll in and pass with a letter grade of C or higher the first semester of an elementary foreign language course numbered 111, or satisfy through alternate methods (see  Communicate in a Human Language Other than English--LANG).

EXPLORE INTERCONNECTEDNESS by completing a course that examines significant relationships between Science or Technology and the Arts, Humanities, or Social Sciences (STAS).

PURSUE DEEPER UNDERSTANDING by completing advanced studies in  three of four  distinct areas of knowledge. A "+" sign in the abbreviations for these learning objectives signifies that most courses in this category will be relatively advanced courses at the 200- to 400-level. These learning objectives are:

  • Experiential Learning (EXP+)
  • Humanities and Fine Arts (HFA+)
  • Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS+)
  • Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM+)

PREPARE FOR LIFE-LONG LEARNING by taking (in most cases) courses which may also satisfy other SBC, major or other degree requirements.

  • Practice and Respect Critical and Ethical Reasoning (CER)
  • Evaluate and Synthesize Researched Information (ESI)
  • Speak Effectively before an Audience (SPK)
  • Write Effectively within One’s Discipline (WRTD)

Students may reduce the number of courses needed to achieve the Stony Brook Curriculum learning objectives through university certified AP credit, courses certified in more than one area, challenge exams, on-campus placement tests, course waivers, and faculty-designed themed course clusters. In accordance with SUNY policy, at a minimum, students must complete at least 30 credits of General Education awarded by an institution of higher education. In order to satisfy the SBC learning objectives, a passing letter grade or a grade of S must be earned in the corresponding course.  Recorded grades of P, NC, U or F will not satisfy SBC learning objectives. LANG, WRT, and QPS learning objectives must be passed with a grade of C or higher.

A detailed list of the courses and activities that fulfill these objectives may be found in the university undergraduate Bulletin.  Many of the above requirements may be fulfilled as part of a student's major or minor.

Note on Courses Satisfying SBC learning objectives:

  • A student's general education record may not be changed retroactively. The University may change the SBC category or learning objectives of a course, but for a particular student, the course will count only toward the requirement it fulfilled at the time the student took the course.
  • For a number of semesters, the student population at Stony Brook University will include students who are pursuing either the Diversified Education Curriculum OR the Stony Brook Curriculum.  Therefore, enrollment in a given course may include students pursuing either D.E.C. or SBC.  To facilitate degree progress of both groups of students, a course may satisfy D.E.C., SBC or both.  However, the DEC category of a course is not always equivalent to the SBC learning objectives.  A course satisfies only the categories in D.E.C. or SBC as approved by the Stony Brook faculty.
  • In order to satisfy the SBC learning objectives, a passing letter grade or a grade of S must be earned in the corresponding course.  Recorded grades of P, NC, U or F will not satisfy SBC learning objectives. LANG, WRT, and QPS learning objectives must be passed with a grade of C or higher.
  • The inclusion of an SBC abbreviation indicates whether a course is approved to satisfy one or more sets of SBC learning objectives.  If an SBC abbreviation does not appear with the course entry in the Bulletin, that course may not be used to satisfy any SBC learning objectives.
  • College courses taken while the student was in high school will be evaluated for applicability to SBC learning objectives.
  • Transferred courses must carry at least three semester hours of credit to be applicable to any learning objective.   

transferred Undergraduate credits from other universities

Equivalent or transfer credit to fulfill general degree requirements is determined by the Health Sciences school to which the student has been admitted. Courses taught at the University which are appropriate to fulfill University requirements are listed in the University Bulletin. Some specific study areas and course levels are not accepted for this purpose by the schools of the Health Sciences programs. The student must discuss with a program advisor which courses are appropriate and will be acceptable to fulfill the general University requirements.

Residence Requirement

For undergraduate students, the University residence requirement states that after the 57th credit, students must earn at least 36 credits at Stony Brook University. Exceptions for programmatic reasons are noted under applicable programs in this Bulletin.

Double Degrees and Double Majors

Students at Stony Brook may pursue double majors and simultaneously earn bachelor’s degrees from both the Health Sciences and a west campus college if they have been formally admitted to each unit and fulfill the criteria and requirements outlined below.

For double majors, the student must receive written approval from the dean of the Health Sciences school in which the student is enrolled and the west campus department or program involved.

For double degrees, written approval to undertake this curriculum must be obtained from the dean of the Health Sciences school in which the student is enrolled, subject to review and final authorization by the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs. The double degree may include either a Bachelor of Arts, a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Engineering degree from a west campus program and a Bachelor of Science degree from the Health Sciences program. The double degree will be given only when:

  1. A concentration in the second field has been completed in a time span greater than required for one degree, i.e., normally five years of full-time study; and
  2. A candidate has competency in two essentially different areas of specialization, i.e. in a Health Sciences program and a specific major in a west campus program.

To earn credit towards a double degree, a student must fulfill the following requirements:

  • Minimum total credits, 144
  • Minimum liberal arts credits, 90
  • Diversified education curriculum including the entry skill requirements of the University, the completion of which also satisfies the requirements of the Health Science program. Minimum of 36 Stony Brook liberal arts credits (of which at least 15 must be in upper-division courses)
  • Minimum Health Sciences credits as determined by the department and school of the selected major Minimum quality point average and minimum unduplicated coursework as required for each degree. Only double degrees, not second majors, may be earned by students studying jointly in the Schools of Nursing or Social Welfare and a west campus college. Students in the School of Health Technology and Management may earn either a double degree or a second major. Since December 21, 2001, students studying for the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences are no longer eligible to pursue a double degree. For a second major, all current guidelines and regulations apply, except that the distribution requirements are those currently in effect for Health Sciences programs.

The degree date for double degrees or second majors is determined by the latest completion date for each degree or each major program. The latter degree date is posted even if one degree or major program is completed earlier than the other.

 Since December 21, 2001, students studying for the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences are no longer eligible to pursue a double degree. For a double  major, all current guidelines and regulations apply, except that the distribution requirements are those currently in effect for Health Sciences programs.

The degree date for double degrees or double majors is determined by the latest completion date for each degree or each major program. The latter degree date is posted even if one degree or major program is completed earlier than the other.

Second Bachelor’s Degree Program

A student who has received a bachelor’s degree from Stony Brook or another accredited institution and who wishes to earn a second degree from a West Campus program must apply and be accepted as a matriculated student for the second baccalaureate. After completing the first degree, the student must earn at least 36 credits in residence at Stony Brook and complete a new major in a significantly different discipline. Of these 36 credits, 21 must be at the upper-division level (courses numbered 300 or higher), primarily from courses chosen for the major. Coursework completed for the first bachelor’s degree, whether taken at Stony Brook or elsewhere, does not count toward completing these requirements. Sequential bachelor’s degree students who wish to qualify for degrees with distinction must complete 55 credits in coursework at Stony Brook toward the second degree. All sequential bachelor’s degree candidates must have completed, with a C or higher, courses judged equivalent to Stony Brook’s general education requirements in English composition and mathematics or complete these courses at Stony Brook. For purposes of registration and academic standing, matriculated candidates for a second baccalaureate will be treated as seniors.

Students pursuing a Second Bachelors degree who matriculated prior to Spring 2015 are required to fulfill D.E.C. categories H, I, J, and K through coursework taken at Stony Brook University  under the Second Bachelors degree program.  Prior DEC H, I, J, and K courses taken at Stony Brook University do not count toward the Second Bachelors degree program. 

Second Bachelor’s degree students who matriculated Spring 2015 or later are not required to satisfy SBC learning objectives outside of the requirements described above.

Summer Study Elsewhere

To insure that projected courses will be fully acceptable for transfer credit, students planning to take summer courses elsewhere should discuss plans in advance with their Health Sciences academic advisors to obtain assistance in determining courses and their school equivalents. Appropriate transfer credit will be granted after the Office of Student Services receives an official transcript indicating that the student has completed the courses with an acceptable grade (C or higher).

Requirements for Graduate Degrees

All candidates for East Campus degrees should consult the appropriate “School” section of this Bulletin.

Graduate Student Residence and Matriculation Requirements

To be certified for a graduate degree, a student must have earned the equivalent of one year of full-time study in the school of enrollment.

The purpose of the residence requirement is to ensure that the graduate student participates in the professional life of the program beyond class attendance. Students must maintain matriculation by registering for at least one graduate credit course in research or independent study during each academic term for which they are maintaining matriculation.

To be eligible to receive a degree, a student must register for at least one graduate credit for the academic term in which the degree is conferred. This includes those graduate students who are not taking classes, but who use the library, laboratories or computer facilities; who are consulting with the faculty while working on their dissertation, clinical experience or independent study; and who are preparing for or taking required examinations. Students who hold graduate traineeships, research assistantships or fellowships must be registered as full-time students.

Graduate students who are supported on faculty research grants or assistantships, traineeships, and fellowships during the summer must be registered in approved courses in the summer session.

Graduate Study Away from Campus

Normally it is expected that a graduate student’s course of study and research will be conducted at the Health Sciences building under the direct guidance of the faculty of the program in which the degree is sought or at facilities close by such as Brookhaven National Laboratory and Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, hospitals and other health agencies on Long Island, or at libraries in New York City. However, there may be circumstances in which the student’s work might be facilitated if it were done elsewhere. In such cases, the school may give permission for the student to carry on work away from the campus.

Permission is ordinarily based on the following factors:

1. The reasons for the request;

2. The conditions under which the student’s work away from campus is to be performed, supervised and evaluated;

3. The registration of the student as a graduate student in the school and payment of the necessary fees. A student who is supported by a stipend or grant from state funds, or from University-monitored federal and private sources, must be registered as a full-time student. If the student is employed elsewhere, in a position not under the University or Health Sciences jurisdiction, matriculation may be maintained by registering for at least one credit of research or independent study in each academic period;

4. Agreement by the dean of the school that permission for the student to do work away from the campus will not diminish the school’s capability to fulfill its commitment;

5. An agreement from the institution where the student’s work is to be performed, in which acceptance of responsibility for its supervision is made. In the case of archival research or field work, a statement of authorization for the student to use such resources must be obtained;

6. The approval of the student’s academic advisor.

Graduate Student Exchange Credits

When the special educational needs of a graduate student at one campus of the State University of New York can be served best by taking a course for credit at another institution in the system the student should obtain a statement from the dean of the school recommending admission of the student to take the desired course at the visited institution. The recommendation should state that the student has the prerequisites for the course and that, if the course is successfully completed, credit for it will be accepted toward the degree. The statement from the dean should then be sent to the graduate school of the visited institution, where it will be cleared with the instructor of the course and the chairman of the department concerned. When approval is obtained, the student will be admitted as a special student for purposes of taking the requested course. The student will pay appropriate tuition and fees at the visited institution. If the student has a waiver of tuition at his or her home institution, the waiver will be recognized by the visited institution. At the completion of the course, the visited institution will, upon request, send a transcript to the student’s home institution. This exchange is restricted to courses not available at the home institution.

Transferred Graduate Credits from Other Universities

Graduate candidates may petition the school to accept credits from another institution toward his or her degree. The school has the responsibility of deciding on the applicability of credits to the specific program. Normally, transfer credits will be limited to no more than six credits.

Apply for Graduation

To qualify as a candidate for graduation, all students  must apply online through the SOLAR system. Deadlines are published in the Health Sciences Academic Calendar. Students who miss the deadline dates noted in the Academic Calendar will not be included in the Commencement publications. 

 If a student applies for graduation and wishes to change the degree date or send diploma address the student must complete the Graduation Change Date Form available online and submitted to the Health Sciences Office of Student Services located in the Health Sciences Tower, Level 2, Rm. 271.

Diplomas take 4-6 weeks to receive after the degree has been completed and posted to the record.

to top