Health Sciences Bulletin

Financial Information

  • Tuition and Fees

    Tuition and Fees

    For information on tuition, fees and New York State residency visit Bursar/Student Accounts.

    New York State Residency 

    As a University center of the State University of New York (SUNY), Stony Brook University is bound by the State policy regarding eligibility for the New York State Resident tuition rate.

    The initial determination of residency is made at the time of admission to the University. Students with missing and/or conflicting information on their initial application to the University are initially coded as non-resident, pending verification of their residency status.

    Students who indicate that they are residents of the state on their initial University application may be asked to complete a residency application to verify their status. Failure to complete this application can result in the student being charged at the non-resident tuition rate.

    All students are encouraged to verify their tuition billing rate as soon as bills are posted. It is a student's responsibility to follow up with the Office of Student Accounts if they feel that their tuition billing rate is not correct. Such students must complete a Residency Application by the second week of classes in order to have their application considered for the current term. Residency Applications cannot be reviewed retroactively.

  • Payment Procedures

    Payment Procedures

    Payment is made by check or credit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover). Payments can be made online through SOLAR. Students receiving financial aid will have a deferment on their accounts equal to the amount of the award. Tuition, fees, health insurance, campus room and meal charges (not campus apartments) may be deferred.

    Students making payment after the published due dates will be required to pay a late payment fee. Those students who register on or after the first day of classes in a given term will be required to pay a registration fee. The late registration period ends at the close of the second week of classes of each academic period. Students failing to meet financial obligations may be subject to additional fees/fines for collection agency charges.

    Failure to satisfy their financial obligation in any given term will prevent students from receiving transcripts and diplomas, as well as being permitted to register for future terms and apply for on-campus housing. Delinquent accounts may be transferred to private collection agencies or the New York State Attorney General’s Office for collection, and are subject to additional fee/fines and interest from the collection agency. Nonpayment does not constitute official withdrawal.  Failure to attend classes will not relieve students of their financial obligation or entitle them to a refund. The date of official withdrawal determines eligibility for any refunds in accordance with the University refund policy.

    All students, after registering for classes, will be able to review their billing statement electronically on the Student On-Line Access to Records (SOLAR) system. No paper billing statement is printed or mailed. Students will be sent due date notifications through the SOLAR system and to their primary email address with the University. The SOLAR system is the primary method in which official communications regarding a student’s account are sent, so it is important to check it often. Students who wish to register after the cut-off date will be required to make payment or properly defer their entire bill in order to register.

    Time Option Payment Plan (TOPP)

    The University offers a Time Option Payment Plan (TOPP) that allows the student to make equal and consecutive payments throughout the semester. There is a processing fee to help defray the administrative expenses of the program. The Time Option Payment Plan is a semester-based program, and enrollment, if desired, must be completed each term. A nonrefundable processing fee is charged each term. For more information, please contact student accounts, (631) 632-2455 or  Enrollment is completed on SOLAR.

    Payment and Anticipated Aid

    The electronic bill will list University charges less any anticipated aid. Anticipated aid is entered on the student’s account only after the financial aid award process has been completed. Only charges for tuition, fees, campus room and meal charges (not charges for graduate campus apartments) may be covered by anticipated aid. The following types of awards may be considered “anticipated aid:”

    • Federal Perkins Loan and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
    • NYS Tuition Assistance/Regents Scholarship Awards
    • Federal Pell Grants
    • Federal Stafford Loans
    • Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)
    • Private scholarship if a letter from the donor organization is submitted to the Student Accounts Office prior to the billing due date

    If the current bill does not reflect anticipated financial aid, the student must pay the amount due by the date indicated. If financial aid is received after the bill is paid, the student will be eligible for a refund. Failure to apply for financial aid in a timely manner does not relieve students from the obligation to meet all payment deadlines or late payment fees. 

  • Insurance Programs


    Stony Brook University automatically bills all full-time, matriculated students for a health insurance plan.

    This plan pays for most medically necessary bills, such as doctor visits, hospitalization, prescriptions, emergency room, lab testing, diagnostic testing, surgery, mental health counseling, etc. The plan covers students anywhere in the world, every day, no matter whether on campus or on semester breaks.  All School of Medicine, School of Dental Medicine, School of Nursing, and other professional Health Sciences students are billed for an additional rider, which covers high costs of potential clinical incidents.

    Students who are not citizens of the US and are not permanent residents are billed for the International Student Health Insurance Plan.

    Students who already have a health insurance plan in place and do not wish to have the Stony Brook coverage must complete an insurance waiver on their SOLAR accounts by the due date. Waivers must be completed at the start of every academic year.

    Students who are enrolled may also enroll dependents at an additional cost. Some part-time students may also be eligible for health insurance. For Information and enrollment forms, you can call (631) 632-6054.

    For additional information, visit Student Health Services.

    Health Insurance For International Students

    The State of New York requires all students who are not US citizens or permanent US residents to be enrolled in and billed for the International Student Health Insurance Plan.  Some students may be eligible to request a waiver if they have alternate health insurance.

    For information please contact the Student Health Insurance Office in the west campus by phone at (631) 632-6331 or via email


    Students admitted to most academic programs are required to purchase liability insurance prior to participating in clinical assignments. For more information, contact the appropriate Health Sciences school.

  • Living Expenses


    For information, rates and fees, pictures and virtual tours of the facilities, visit

    Requests for Campus Housing

    Only matriculated students are eligible for on-campus housing. Students currently enrolled in the Health Sciences programs, and Stony Brook students who are applying to any of the Health Sciences programs for the following fall have an opportunity to select housing accommodations in the spring. Students newly admitted to the Health Sciences programs from other educational institutions will be given information on applying for on-campus housing at the time they are accepted.

    Housing is not guaranteed to transfers so applicants are encouraged to submit their request for housing as quickly as possible.


    An off-campus housing service is available to assist students in finding living arrangements off-campus. This service maintains up-to-date listings of available facilities to rent or share in the area. It also provides useful information about leases, transportation, the community, and safety guidelines.  For information visit


    Campus Dining Services offers students many different dining venues as well as meal plan options.  For information about meal plans, rates, nutritional information, dining hours and other services visit


    These include primarily the estimated costs of transportation to clinical facilities, books and other instructional materials, equipment, and supplies. More information can be obtained from the different Health Sciences programs.

    For information on text books, please visit


    Students are advised to take advantage of the public transportation network that services Stony Brook University to travel both on and off campus. The Stony Brook University Bus Service, which provides transportation on campus, and Suffolk Transit, which provides service to all local off-campus destinations, are both available for students to utilize. The Stony Brook University Bus Service is available free of charge and operates seven days a week throughout the calendar year. For specific schedule and destination information, please visit

    For students who travel to Stony Brook University via personal vehicle, limited parking is available in the Health Sciences, Hospital and Administration Parking Garages. A monthly Health Sciences Parking Garage card is available to qualified students for a fee, or students may park in the Hospital or Administration Parking Garages for a daily fee. Evening students may purchase a monthly evening Parking Garage card. Other surface parking options are available to students. For more information please visit

    All vehicles parked in surface parking lots must display a valid parking permit obtained through Parking Services.

    The University Police Motorist Assistance Program provides assistance with common personal vehicle problems such as battery jumps, locked-in keys and empty gas tanks. For assistance or more information, please call University Police at 333 from any on campus phone, or (631) 632-3333 from any off campus/cell phone.

  • Refund Policy


     For additional information on the University Refund policy, contact the Office of Student Accounts at (631) 632-2455.


    Students who officially withdraw from Stony Brook University or reduce the number of credits for which they are registered may be entitled to a prorated refund of tuition or a prorated adjustment of tuition charges. Fee charges billed will not be removed or refunded after the first week of classes. For more information on withdrawals and refunds, visit the Bursar/Student Accounts website.

    The first day of classes is the day school officially begins based on the published academic calendar. Students attending evening classes that meet for the first time on the last day of the 100% refund period will have a one-day grace period to withdraw from the class and still be eligible for a full refund.

    Tuition deposit refund requests must be made in writing and mailed to:

    Student Accounts/Refund Unit
    254 Administration Building
    Stony Brook University
    Stony Brook, New York 11794-1301

    Requests must be received (for Fall, by May 1) or 30 days after the offer of admission, whichever is later. There are no refunds of the tuition deposit after the first day of classes.


    If a student no longer plans to reside on campus, he/she may request a partial refund of his/her housing deposit in accordance with the appropriate semester deadlines. There are no refunds of the housing deposit after the start of classes, regardless of whether or not the student is enrolled for the semester.

    Applications for a partial refund of the housing deposit must be made in writing.
    Fax the request to (631) 632-9211 or mail to:

    Office of Campus Residences
    Mendelsohn Quad, Stony Brook University,
    Stony Brook, NY 11794-4444 or faxed to (631) 632-9211 

    For details visit:


    Students who withdraw from the University will be billed a prorated portion of the meal plan up to, and including, the official withdrawal date. Prorations are calculated on a weekly basis.

    For information on cancelling a meal plan, call (631) 632-6517 or visit


    The process of withdrawing from the University is a formal procedure which the student has the responsibility to initiate. Non attendance of classes does not classify as an official withdrawal and does not relieve the student of his or her financial obligation or entitle the student to a refund.  Students must contact their Health Sciences School to complete the necessary paperwork to withdraw from the University.  Students requesting a review of tuition and fee liability must submit a separate written appeal to the Student Accounts Office with all appropriate documentation.  A student withdrawing shall be responsible for payment of tuition and fees in accordance with Tuition & Fee Refund Schedule. A "W" is recorded on the academic transcript.

    For information about requesting a refund, visit


    No grade is recorded on the academic transcript. A student who is given permission to cancel his or her registration shall be responsible for payments of tuition and all fees in accordance with the Tuition and Fee Refund schedule.

    For more information visit


    A student who is dismissed for academic or disciplinary reasons prior to the end of an academic term shall be liable for tuition and fees due for the term according to the Tuition and Fee Refund schedule.


    Financial aid recipients who are withdrawing from the University or changing their status from full-time to part-time must consult with a financial aid advisor regarding the impact of these actions on their financial aid awards. Federal regulations require a review of all student aid received in order to determine if the student is still eligible for the full amount. In case of a withdrawal, this determination is based on the withdrawal date as processed by the Health Sciences Office of Student Services and on the amount of time the student spent in academic attendance. After 60% of the semester has passed, students have earned 100% of the federal financial aid awarded to them. Please note that this federal refund calculation is separate and different from the refund calculation of institutional charges done by the Bursar’s Office.

  • Financial Assistance


    Financial aid for Health Sciences students is divided into three basic categories: grants, loans, and employment opportunities. Grants, which include scholarships, do not have to be repaid; loans carry some form of interest payment and must be paid back to the lender; employment opportunities afford the student the chance to earn money while attending school. Some financial aid programs are administered by the University, others by federal and state agencies to which the student applies directly. 


    The purpose of the University’s financial aid program is primarily to provide assistance to those students whose families cannot help them meet the cost of their education, and secondarily to ease the burden for those families more able to assist. For federal aid programs, students are classified as dependent or independent.

    To be independent for the federal aid programs, a student needs to meet one of the following conditions: be at least 24 years old by December 31 of the award year; married; a graduate or professional student; a veteran; an orphan or ward of the court; or have legal dependents other than a spouse.  For other conditions, please visit  

    Aid from most of the programs discussed in the section below is awarded on the basis of financial need. Financial need is the difference between the cost of attendance as determined by the Institution and the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) which is based on information provided by the student and his or her family on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The EFC is based on a formula established by Congress. The cost of attendance includes the cost of tuition and fees, room and board, and allowance for books, supplies, transportation and personal expenses. Costs related to child care and/or a disability can also be included. In addition to financial need and specific program eligibility, receipt of financial aid from the Federal aid programs is based on the following conditions: being a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen; be matriculated into a degree program; register with Selective Service, if required; satisfactory academic progress; not being in default on educational loans or owing a refund to a state or federal financial aid program; and certain drug-related convictions. Even in cases where the aid has already been awarded, it will be necessary to cancel the awards when the University is informed that the student does not meet one of these conditions. The financial aid “package” is the term used to designate the total financial aid a student receives.

    For most Health Sciences students, loans will be recommended in the package since they will be the primary source of aid used to meet educational expenses. For this reason, it is critical for students to understand the terms and conditions of any loan program before applying, since interest rates, deferments, and repayment obligations vary among the different loan programs. Students should also carefully plan their academic year expenses and resources to determine the amount of loan funds they will need.

    Satisfactory academic progress must be maintained for continued eligibility for financial aid. Stony Brook University measures academic progress each term. Eligibility for assistance from the Federal Work Study Program, the Stafford Loans, Perkins Loan, SEOG and Pell Grant programs is contingent on candidates meeting specific quality and quantity academic standards. Recipients of federal student financial aid must complete degree requirements within a stated time frame. New York State Education Department’s requirements are described in the TAP section. Specifics on academic progress as a condition of federal student aid eligibility is available at

    Application for Financial Aid

    To apply for federal financial aid, students must submit required forms and information each year by the announced deadline. The complete application file consists of the following documents:

    • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA); students may file either the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA online at beginning October 1.

    • Other documents as requested by the financial aid administrator, including copies of students’ and parents' tax transcripts, proof of non-taxable income (Social Security, social services benefits) and others.

    Students will be automatically offered Summer financial aid if they are registered for at least 6 credits for Summer and have completed a FAFSA for the current academic year.

    FAFSA information will be transmitted electronically to Stony Brook if the applicant included the institution’s Title IV school code (002838) on the FAFSA. Upon receipt of the data, the file is reviewed and a SOLAR message will be sent to the student. This SOLAR message will list all the federal awards and possibly a TAP estimate for which the student may be eligible. 

    Students may be selected for verification. If a student’s application is selected, he or she will be requested to provide additional documentation, such as tax transcripts, to substantiate the accuracy of the information on the FAFSA. Corrections are made, if necessary.

    Students are strongly advised to file for financial aid by February 15 of each year to ensure that their awards are posted on their student account as “anticipated aid” by the beginning of classes.  Otherwise, they will be liable for late tuition payment fees. Students who apply after the deadline will be given lower priority for aid.

    Students can view up-to-date financial aid and billing information by accessing SOLAR.


    Health Sciences students may qualify for a number of scholarship programs such as the National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program and the Indian Health Service Scholarship Program. Information about these and other funds can be obtained at the offices of the different Health Sciences programs.

    Other programs available to students in specific fields of the Health Sciences are: the W. Berghardt Turner Fellowship for graduate students in the Schools of Social Welfare, Nursing and Medicine; the National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program for undergraduate students in physician assistant and graduate students in nursing and dentistry.

    Many scholarships are available to health professionals through private foundations and governmental agencies to which the student must apply directly. Online information for scholarship searches can be found here


    Funded by the federal government, this grant is available to matriculated undergraduate students enrolled in their first baccalaureate program for at least one credit. Application for the Pell Grant is made by completing the FAFSA.  After processing, additional documents such as tax forms may be requested from the student’s family to determine eligibility for the Pell award.


    This grant is funded by the federal government and is available to undergraduates with very high financial need. The amount of the award is based on the student’s financial need and the availability of funds to the University. The FSEOG program is limited at Stony Brook. Application for FSEOG is made by completing the FAFSA.


    This state-funded grant is for full-time matriculated undergraduate New York State residents. Awards from this program apply only toward tuition. TAP award amounts are based on New York State net taxable income. Independent status under the state definition for TAP may be different from the federal programs. For more information about TAP visit the Office of the Registrar website


    Part-time students at approved schools in New York State who were first-time, full-time freshmen in 2006-07 may be eligible for Part-Time TAP to help them pay for college beginning in 2007-08. Part-Time TAP is a grant and does not have to be paid back. Part-Time TAP is not the same as Aid for Part-Time Study.

    To be eligible for Part-Time TAP, a student must be a first-time freshman in the 2006-07 academic year or thereafter; have earned 12 credits or more in each of the two consecutive semesters, for a minimum total of 24 credits earned and maintain a minimum of a “C” average.


    This is a New York State-funded grant available to undergraduate matriculated part-time students who are enrolled for at least three credits and not more than 11 credits per semester. The student must be a New York State resident, maintain good academic standing and have a family income within the program guidelines. The APTS grant pays tuition up to a total of $1,000 per semester.

    A special APTS application form is available at The student should also submit copies of his or her and parent(s) previous year state and federal tax forms. 


    Interested students should contact the Veterans Affairs Office, Room 348, Administration Building. Please call (631) 632-6701 for an appointment.


    The EOP is an educational program available to undergraduate students. Applicants must be New York State residents who are economically and educationally disadvantaged according to state guidelines. Selection of eligible applicants, generally in the freshman year, is conducted by the University’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

    Since all undergraduate programs at the Health Sciences are at the upper-division level, students applying for EOP must have been enrolled in an equivalent program during their freshman or sophomore year, such as College Discovery, EOP, HEOP or SEEK. A letter from the previous program director is necessary in order to consider the student’s eligibility for EOP at the Health Sciences programs. Students also need to complete the FAFSA. The average award is $900 in addition to a book stipend at the beginning of each term.


    Funded by the State University of New York, this program can provide money for tuition to former EOP, SEEK or HEOP students who are New York State residents and enrolled for 12 credits at Stony Brook in a first graduate or professional degree program. 


    This program, funded by the State University of New York, provides up to a full waiver of tuition for students who qualify according to the current year EOP economic eligibility criteria and the federal methodology of needs analysis. This is a need-based tuition waiver program available to New York State residents enrolled as full-time students at Stony Brook in a first professional degree program in the School of Medicine and School of Dental Medicine. Awards range from $100 per semester to full tuition minus any award received for tuition only. Funds for the program are limited.


    Full-time students enrolled in the physician assistant program, nurse practitioner, midwifery, medicine and dental medicine  are eligible to apply for the National Health Service Corps (NHSC). The program pays tuition and fees, a monthly stipend for living expenses and an allowance for reasonable educational expenses. Applicants must agree to practice their profession in designated areas of the country as determined by NHSC and must be committed to primary healthcare practice.

    The application deadline is usually in March. For more information visit


    The Nurse Corps Scholarship Program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, awards scholarships to individuals for attendance at Schools of Nursing. The scholarship consists of payment for tuition, fees, other reasonable educational costs and a monthly support stipend. In return, the students agree to provide a minimum of two years of full-time clinical service at a healthcare facility with a critical shortage of nurses. Click here for an application and information.


    Funded by New York State, the State Aid to Native Americans Program award is available for enrolled members of a New York State Native American Indian tribe or their children. The student must maintain good academic standing and be a resident of New York State. Applications and information are available from the Native American Education Unit.  Information can be found at


    For information on all New York State awards, visit for additional information.


    A loan is money you borrow and must pay back with interest.   

    If you decide to take out a loan, make sure you understand who is making the loan and the terms and conditions of the loan. Student loans may come from the federal government or from private sources such as a bank.  Loans made by the federal government, called federal student loans, usually offer borrowers lower interest rates and have more flexible repayment options than loans from banks or other private sources.

    There are yearly and lifetime aggregate amounts for federal student loans.  If necessary, a student can secure additional funds for their educational expenses through private educational loan programs. To qualify for these loans, the borrower must have a favorable credit history and provide information about income and credit obligations. In some cases, a co-signer is required.

    For additional information about types of loans and amounts, visit


    For information on repayment, deferment, forbearance and loan forgiveness visit

  • Employment


    This is a federally funded, part-time work program available to graduate and undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need. The amount of the award is based on the student’s financial need, the availability of funds to the University, the number of hours that the student can work per week and the current pay rate. Some employment opportunities are available through FWS Community Service for eligible students.

    Application for Federal Work Study is made by completing the FAFSA. For more information visit  the Career Center website


    Students not eligible for FWS funds can work on campus under the student employment program. Job listings are available on the Career Center website

    Jobs are also announced in campus newspapers and on bulletin boards. To be eligible, a student must be matriculated and enrolled for at least six credits.


    The operates many different auxiliary business services and programs for the campus, such as dining, bookstores, and the campus ID office, and employs close to 500 students. For information and job listings visit

to top