Faculty/Professional Accruals/Annual (Vacation) Days/Sick Days
- Employees are eligible to earn leave credits for the month, when they work and/or charge leave credits for the greater portion of the month (new employees must be on the payroll by the 15th of the month in order to earn leave credits for that month).
- Accruals are not advanced, and may not be used before they are earned. Accruals earned in the current month are available to use on the first of the following month.
- Accrual rates are based on: years of service for full-time employees, salary for part-time on-teaching professionals and number of courses taught for part-time faculty employees. Note: Part-time faculty employees whose professional obligation is primarily other than teaching classes (e.g. medical and dental faculty) accrue based on salary.
- Professional Staff and 12 month Faculty are eligible to accrue vacation and sick leave credits.
- 10 month Faculty are eligible to accrue sick leave credits only.
- Professional employees may use/charge accruals in increments of as little as a quarter of a day.
Annual (Vacation) Days
- Annual leave can be used in lieu of sick leave, but sick leave can not be used in lieu of annual leave.
- Vacation accruals may exceed 40 days during the calendar year, however no more than 40 days will be forwarded to the new calendar year.
- The maximum payment for vacation accruals upon separation from State service is 30 days.
- Employees wishing to use vacation/holiday credits must have advance approval.
- Employees are eligible to accrue up to a maximum of 200 sick days.
- Sick leave accruals can be used for medical and dental appointments, sick related absences and periods of disability supported by medical documentation.
- Employees may not use sick accruals when they are no longer sick or disabled.
- Absences due to illness must be reported to the supervisor as soon as possible.
- Sick related absences of five days or more require medical documentation to be submitted upon return to work.
- Employees may use up to a maximum of 30 days per SUNY fiscal year (July 1st through June 30th) of their accumulated sick leave, for absences necessitated by a death or illness in the employee's immediate family.
- FMLA leave should be requested for extended periods of sick related absences.
- Absences attributable to approved FMLA leave (Family and Medical Leave Act) must be documented as such on an employee's time sheet.
- Employees on a sick related or medical leave for an extended period of time, must submit medical documentation to HRS periodically. When an employee is able to return to work, they must submit medical documentation to HRS (48 hours before the scheduled return to work date) which clears the employee of return to full duty.
Note: Save your sick days! Unused sick leave accruals can be converted into monetary value to offset out-of-pocket health insurance premiums during retirement.
Professional Accrual Rates and Information
Full-Time 12 Month Employees
Employees who serve on a full-time basis shall be eligible to accrue credits for sick leave each month, during the term of their professional obligation as follows:
|Years of Services||Annual/Vacation Leave AND
Sick Leave Accrual Rate in Days
|0-1||1 1/4 a month (15 days)|
|2||1 1/3 a month (16 days)|
|3,4,5||1 1/2 a month (18 days)|
|6||1 2/3 a month (20 days)|
|7||1 3/4 a month (21 days)|
NOTE: 10-month academic employees are NOT eligible to accrue vacation or holiday leave.
Part-Time Calendar Year and College Year Employees
Employees who serve as part-time calendar year and college year employees shall be eligible to accrue credits for vacation leave as follows:
|1 course||1/4 day per month|
|2 courses||1/2 day per month|
|3 courses||1 day per month|
Part-Time Faculty and Non-Teaching Professionals
Part-time academic employees whose professional obligations are primarily other than teaching classes shall be eligible to accrue vacation leave in accordance with the compensation requirements for part-time professional employees as specified below:
|Up to $12,983||1/4 day per month|
|$12,984 to $19,589||1/2 day per month|
|$19,590 to $26,194||1 day per month|
|$26,195 or higher||1 1/4 day per month|
Employees are permitted to use a maximum of 30 days of their accumulated sick leave each year (7/1-6/30) for family sick purposes, such as absences necessitated by a death or illness in the employee's family.
To accrue credits for vacation leave, calendar and college year employees must be in full pay status for the month or major faction thereof.
Vacation and sick leave credits are not advanced. They are accrued on a monthly basis and may not be used before they are earned. Accruals earned in the current month are available to use on the 1st of the following month.
Maximum Accumulation - Vacation leave credits may exceed 40 days within any calendar year. However, such an accumulation shall not exceed 40 days as of the first day of any calendar year.
Maximum Accumulation - Sick leave credits shall not exceed 200 days.
PLEASE NOTE: Unused sick accruals will be converted into a monetary value to offset out-of-pocket health insurance premiums during retirement.