Home > Human Resource Services News and Events
Human Resource Services News and Events
Guidelines for Hiring Temporary Summer Project Aides
|To:||Project Directors, Department Chairs|
|From:||Steve Riccobono, Assistant Director Human Resource Services|
|Date:||March 31st, 2010|
|RE:||Guidelines for Hiring Temporary Summer Project Aides|
Each summer academic departments and Project Directors hire students and others as temporary Research Foundation employees to provide short-term assistance with a variety of projects. Some of these candidates are SUNY students, who may be hired in student titles such as Research Aide/Senior Research Aide. Others, who are students outside the SUNY system, or who are not students, may be hired as Project Aides.
The defined Summer Employment Period is: May 1, 2010 to September 30, 2010
- To assist you in filling temporary summer Project Aide positions Human Resource Services:
- Has established a streamlined hiring process, which complies with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) requirements. We have summarized this in an At-a-Glance Grid.
- Will post one general position for Project Aides on our JOBS website. If you plan to employ a Summer Project Aide, please forward your completed PDAR or SUSB0037 to Recruitment and Employment Services. We will use this to match applicants to your specific requirements.
- Will gather applications in the Online Resume Database, review applications, interview select candidates, and forward qualified candidates to you who meet your requirements.
- Will distribute summer job opportunity information to a variety of institutions and agencies, including those serving the under-represented community.
- In planning summer recruitment's, hiring departments should note the following:
- That the fringe benefit rate charged to departments for summer hires, which start and end within the defined summer period (May 1, 2010 to September 30, 2010) is at a reduced, summer only rate (final figure to be announced by RF Central).
- Public Officers Law §73.14(a) states that "No statewide elected official, state officer or employee, member of the legislature or legislative employee may participate in any decision to hire, promote, discipline or discharge a relative for any compensated position at, for or within any state agency, public authority or the legislature."
- The Research Foundation of SUNY at Stony Brook is required to "identify every applicant". This applies even to those applicants seeking temporary summer employment as Project Aides. We have attached a Request to Hire Form that enables departments to record this information.
- An Authorization to Obtain Pre Employment Background Information form must be submitted prior to the start date of all new employees, including Summer Project Aides.
Should you have any questions or concerns about summer Project Aides, please contact Cathy Arrighetta, Erica Shannon or Elizabeth Brady, in Recruitment and Employment Services, Human Resources Services, 390 Administration Building, Z-0751, at (631) 632-1129 and 632-1758 or email: HRS_Recruiting@stonybrook.edu.
The information contained in this memo, and other summer employment information may also be accessed on the web at http://www.stonybrook.edu/hr, click on "Summer Employment Information."
|Quality Control Board (QCB) Members|