Home > Human Resource Services News and Events
Human Resource Services News and Events
Guidelines for Hiring Temporary Summer Project Aides
|To:||Project Directors, Department Chairs|
|From:||Rebecca West, Assistant Director Human Resource Services|
|Date:||March 9th, 2007|
- At-a-Glance Grid
- Project Aide Position Standard
- Summer Project Aide Request to Hire Form
- Summer Project Aide Reminder
- Summer Appointments for Faculty and Non-Faculty
Each summer academic departments and Project Directors hire students and others as temporary Research Foundation employees to provide short-term assistance with a variety of projects. Some of these candidates are SUNY students, who may be hired in student titles such as Research Aide/Senior Research Aide. Others, who are students outside the SUNY system, or who are not students, may be hired as Project Aides.
The defined Summer Employment Period is: May 1, 2007 to September 30, 2007
- To assist you in filling temporary summer Project Aide positions Human Resource Services:
- Has established a streamlined hiring process, which complies with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) requirements. We have summarized this in an At-a-Glance Grid.
- Will post three general positions for Project Aides on our Campus Job Opportunities website. If you plan to employ a Summer Project Aide, please forward your completed SUSB 37 to Recruitment and Employment Services. We will use this to match applicants to your specific requirements.
- Will gather applications in the On-line Resume Database and review applications, and forward you those that meet your requirements.
- Will distribute summer job opportunity information to a variety of institutions and agencies, including those serving the under-represented community. Will distribute summer job opportunity information to a variety of institutions and agencies, including those serving the under-represented community.
- In planning summer recruitment's, hiring departments should note the following:
- That the fringe benefit rate charged to departments for summer hires, which start and end within the defined summer period (May 1, 2007 to September 30, 2007) is at a reduced, summer only rate (final figure to be announced by Research Foundation Central).
- University Center Policy indicates "an employed family member cannot approve the appointment to a position at the University Center of another member of the same family. Similarly, a family member can neither approve nor recommend for another employed member of the same family promotions, salary increases, performance evaluations, or reappointment."
- The Research Foundation of SUNY at Stony Brook is required to "identify every applicant." This applies even to those applicants seeking temporary summer employment as Project Aides. We have attached a Request to Hire Form that enables departments to record this information.
- An Authorization to Obtain Pre-employment Background Information Form must be submitted prior to the start date of all new employees, including Summer Project Aides.
Should you have any questions or concerns about hiring summer Project Aides, please contact either Heliana Mejia-Scherl or Jennifer McMahon in Recruitment and Employment Services, Human Resource Services, 390 Administration Building, Z=0751, at (631) 632-1757 or (631) 632-1758 or e-mail HRS_Recruiting@stonybrook.edu.
The information contained in this memo, and other summer employment information may also be accessed on the HRS website under Summer Employment Information.
|RF & State QCB,|