Writing a Job Description Summary
- Describe the basic purpose of the job. (Why it is performed)
- List the various duties in order of importance. (Describe what the task is, how it is performed and why it is done)
- Begin each sentence with an action verb.
- Use examples to add meaning.
- Define jargon or initials.
- Assume the reader knows nothing about your job.
- Answer all the why, how and with who questions that your sentences generate.
- Provide an organization chart; include names, titles and line numbers. Ensure that the chart answers the following questions:
- To whom does this position report?
- What other positions report to the same supervisor?
- What positions report to this position?