New Graduate Student Employee Health Insurance Orientation

Date: August 27, 2014

Location: Wang Center Theatre

Teaching Assistants and Graduate Assistants

Both sessions are the same

Time: 11:00AM - 12:00PM OR 2:00PM - 3:00PM

Research Assistants and Fellows

Both sessions are the same

Time: 12:30AM - 1:30PM OR 4:00PM - 5:00PM

If you are eligible for health insurance and would like to enroll please make sure you bring copies of the following documents for yourself, spouse and any dependents you would like to enroll, to the orientation. No Substitutions will be allowed and the Department of Civil Service will not accept any enrollment applications without the required documents.

  • Birth certificate, Passport or Certificate of Citizenship AND Social Security card (copy of Medicare card if applicable) - For yourself, spouse and any dependents you would like to enroll.
  • Marriage Certificate for couples married ONE year; if a marriage certificate is not available they must supply a copy of the I-20.
  • Couples married more than one year must submit BOTH marriage certificate and proof of CURRENT joint ownership (enrollee’s name and spouse’s name must be listed on this documentation) Examples of joint ownership: prior year tax return, OR most recent mortgage statement; bank account statement; homeowners/renters insurance policy; renter/lease agreement. (If you cannot provide the joint financial documents as described above, you may submit an Affidavit of Marriage Certificate).
  • Proof of support/dependence for other children (if applicable).
  • Proof of disability (if applicable).

The following questions will be answered at the Graduate Student Employee Health Insurance Orientation:

  • Am I eligible for the employee health insurance?
  • Can I enroll my dependents?
  • Are dental and vision offered with this plan?
  • Does this plan cover prescriptions?
  • What are the health insurance premiums?
  • What type of doctors can I use?
  • What happens to my health insurance during the winter and summer school breaks?
  • What happens if I am an International Student?
  • What if I do not have a social security number or card?
  • Will I still have to pay for the mandatory school insurance?

For more information:
Phone: (631) 632-6180
Fax: (631) 632-1350