Freshman Admissions criteria:
- Educational Profile: Successful applicants to these programs (the middle 50th percentile ranges) have historically had 95-99 high school GPAs, 1350-1480 SAT* (Critical Reading + Math) composites, and 30-34 ACT composite scores.
- Academic and Extracurricular Success: It is important to have succeeded in challenging courses while showing energy and leadership in extracurricular areas of interest, such as the visual, performing, and literary arts, athletics, sciences, community service, or student government.
- Admission to the Honors College is based on a range of criteria. We are looking for bright, energetic students who have demonstrated an ability to succeed in our rigorous academic program and to take advantage of the research, creative, and cultural opportunities available at Stony Brook . Admission is highly competitive.
- *Meeting typical minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. The Admissions Committee reserves the right to consider applicants with credentials below these minimums based on extraordinary circumstances, including excelling in the face of adversity and overcoming life obstacles.
how to apply:
Step 1: Submit an Honors College Application by
Common Application Instructions:
- Apply for honors programs within Stony Brook's Member Questions section of The Common Application.
- Submit an essay on any of The Common Application's accepted topics in the Writing section (up to 650 words).
- SUNY Application Instructions:
- Common Application Instructions:
Step 2: Submit all Supplemental Materials by
- High school transcripts, SAT/ACT scores and two teacher evaluations.
- Please fax all paper documents to: (631) 632-9898. Credentials faxed directly from the high school do not need to be mailed in hard copy.
- If items cannot be faxed, please send them to:
Stony Brook University
Albany, NY 12204-2755
- *Be sure to include your full name, date of birth, and home address on all correspondence. It is each applicant's responsibility to ensure that all application credentials are received.
- For more information on how to submit supplemental information please use the following link: How to Apply to a Stony Brook Honors Program.
- January 15th: Honors College Application Deadline
- February 1st: Honors College Supplemental Documents Deadline
- March 15th-31st: Students will be notified of their admissions decision by the end of March
- May 1st: Honors College Acceptance Offer Deadline