Other Sources of Financial Assistance

Graduate Stipends/Fellowships

Graduate assistantships (stipends) are offered on a competitive basis (as judged by Admissions Committees specific to each Graduate Program) by the Graduate School for one year and may be renewed for up to four years.  A stipend is compensation for teaching or other graduate assistantship duties. Effective fall 2009, a full assistantship has a minimum value of $15,145 for the academic year.  Opportunities for research assistantships, funded by external awards and grants, are also available in many doctoral programs. 

In addition to assistantships, students may be eligible for Graduate Council fellowship awards, Turner Graduate Fellowship Awards, Federal Work Study Summer funds and/or Research Summer funds.  All such awards are made on a competitive basis.  The availability of these funds varies by graduate program.  Prospective students are advised to speak with the relevant Graduate Program Director regarding the availability and eligibility criteria of each award.

More information can be found by visiting the Graduate School web site.


A waiver is a reduction of charges which means that no monetary funds are received. Room, meal, and tuition waiver reductions are considered a resource for financial aid purposes and therefore need to be reported to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services.

Campus Residences provide room and meal waivers for students who are employed as Resident Assistants. Contact Campus Residences for additional information (http://studentaffairs.stonybrook.edu/res/index.shtml).

All waivers at the University are processed by the Student Accounts Office.

Programs for United States Veteran's

Veterans Benefits and Services: Students interested in applying for benefits under any of the VA educational assistance programs should contact Stony Brook’s Office of Veterans Affairs.

Veteran Awards administered through the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC): Child of Veteran, Persian Gulf Veterans Tuition Award and Vietnam Veterans Tuition Award. Additional information and application procedures are available at New York State HESC Web site.