Study Abroad study abroad image

Financial Aid for Study Abroad

The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services is available to assist students with funding for their study abroad programs. For those students who study abroad, it may be necessary to supplement their financial aid award package with Parent Loans or Alternative Loans to assist in covering the additional expenses incurred while studying abroad.

Study Abroad courses must be applicable towards your degree and/or major/minor requirements in order to receive Federal and State financial aid. Please consult the International Academic Programs Office regarding your intended courses. You should also consult your major department and/or academic advising, if the Study Abroad coursework will be fulfilling DECs or elective requirements.

To apply for financial aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is available in the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services, and on-line at Once you have been awarded a financial aid package, please review your awards to determine if additional funding is required. If you find that your financial aid package does not sufficiently cover the costs of your study abroad program, you will need to seek alternate means of funding.

In an effort to help you with the process we have developed a Study Abroad Information and Financial Worksheet complete with a Frequently Asked Question Section. After you have completed the Student Questionnaire and the Study Abroad Financial Worksheet, please bring them, along with a copy of your proof of acceptance into a study abroad program and a copy of your program cost/budget to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services Aid Services.  After you have submitted these documents, a financial aid advisor will review the documentation and someone from the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services will contact you via your Stony Brook email address. Please also provide a phone number where you can be reached. The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarship Services may also communicate with you via Solar System message.

Please note: scholarships are available through specific study abroad programs and not through the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services. Please consult with your study abroad advisor to determine if scholarships are available for your program.

The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services understands that securing funding to study abroad can be challenging. Students looking for scholarship sources that are not affiliated with specific programs might try one of the following options:

Scholarship Web Sites:

Rotary International ( offers several worldwide scholarships that vary in length and subject matter.

Benjamin Gilman Award ( receiving federal financial aid (Pell Grants) can apply

Fulbright Commission ( U.S. citizens interested in graduate study or research abroad might contact the Fulbright Commission for scholarships or travel grants.

NSEP Undergraduate/Graduate grant ( Students planning to study under-represented languages as well as the sciences or other disciplines deemed critical to U.S. security may be eligible for the or NSEP graduate grants. These scholarships have a service requirement upon graduation.

Other Country or Region Specific Scholarships Include the Following:

DAAD ( grants for study in Germany;

American-Scandinavian Foundation ( for graduate study in Scandinavian countries

The Institute of International Education ( website is helpful as a general scholarship search engine.


Additional Relevant Web Sites:

Stony Brook University International Academic Program(Study Abroad)

American Institute for Foreign Study

ATM Locator

Foreign Currency Converter

USA Today Worldwide Weather