We are proud to serve the diverse and vibrant Stony Brook community. Facilities & Services is able to provide the essential services for building, operating and maintaining Stony Brook University on its four campuses: Main Campus, Stony Brook Southampton, Research and Development Park and Stony Brook Manhattan.
The mission of Facilities & Services is to:
- Maintain and improve the campus buildings, grounds and infrastructure.
- Save energy, reduce pollution and improve our impact on the natural environment.
- Provide a safe and supportive campus community.
- Build for the 21st century.
How Big Are We?
Stony Brook University is a city of 37,000 people. In order to keep this city running, we have:
- Over 16 miles of roadways which we build and maintain
- High temperature and chilled water systems on campus contain 700,000 gallons of water
- We have 950 laboratories, 2,500 restrooms, 25 miles of underground high voltage cable, 166 transformers and 1,000 utility manholes
What we do
- Over 17.5 million pounds of trash were removed
- 137.8 million pounds of materials were recycled
- Campus buses traveled 560K miles
- Our custodial staff cleaned over 4.1 million square feet
- 20 tons of hazardous waste were collected and properly disposed
What We Do Green
- Biodegradable food packaging
- Greenhouses, In-vessel food waste composter
- Buses powered by biodiesel/ultra low sulfur diesel, used vegetable oil
- Energy performance contract
- Occupancy sensors in buildings
- Solar installations
|Buildings||Net Square Feet||Gross Square Feet||Acres|
|Stony Brook Campus||122||8,445,563||10,861,402||1,039|
|Stony Brook Manhattan||1||14,544||18,500||N/A|
|Research & Development Park||5||182,169||204,420||246|
|Medical Center Leased Space||22||332,148||338,360||N/A|