Admission to the M.S. and Ph.D. programs is handled separately by the departmental admissions committee. Prospective M.S. students should follow the application deadlines listed below. The deadline for submission of applications for the following Fall semester for prospective Ph.D. students is February 1.
The requirements for admission to graduate study in this department include:
- A bachelors degree in engineering, natural sciences, social sciences, mathematics, or a closely related area from an accredited college or university. For admission to the Energy and Environmental Systems concentration of the M.S., one year of calculus (MAT 131, 132 or equivalent) is required. For admission to the Global Operations Management concentration of the M.S., an introductory calculus course (MAT 123 or equivalent) is required.
- A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0;
- Three letters of recommendation;
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test scores;
- Acceptance by the Department of Technology and Society and the Graduate School.
- A Statement of Purpose describing the applicant’s relevant past experience and immediate and long-term goals. Applicants for admission to the Ph.D. program should describe how the type of research that they expect to conduct while in the program relates to one of the department’s research areas, (energy and environmental systems; education (including educational technologies, and education in engineering and applied sciences); technology management, engineering entrepreneurship, and science and technology policy.
In special cases, applicants who do not satisfy requirement 1 or 2 may be admitted on a conditional basis and may be subject to additional course requirements. Appropriate courses taken in non-matriculated status may be applied towards the M.S. degree in Technological Systems Management and the Ph.D. degree in Technology, Policy, and Innovation; however, no more than 12 credits taken in non-matriculated status can be applied to the credit requirements for the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees.
For admission to the Advanced Graduate Certificate program, students must have a bachelor’s degree and an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0. Students with lower averages may be admitted in non-matriculated status that may be changed upon earning six or more graduate credits applicable to the Certificate with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Credits for Certificate program courses may be applied to requirements for the M.S. degree in Technological Systems Management subject to Graduate school rules and limitations; however, no more than 12 credits may be transferred.
Ph. D. program
Fall 2013 Admission (fall admission only)
a. Technology, Policy, and Innovation Ph.D. - International and Domestic students – application deadline February 2, 2013
Fall 2013 Admission
a. Technological Systems Management M.S. - Domestic student application deadline June 1, 2013
b. Technological Systems Management M.S. - International student application deadline April 1, 2013
Spring 2013 Admission
a. Technological Systems Management M.S. - Domestic student application deadline December 1, 2012
b. Technological Systems Management M.S. - International student application deadline October 3, 2012
Request Official Transcript
Effective August 5th, 2005 current and former students will be able to order and track official transcript requests online via the SOLAR System. As before, there will be a $5.00 per transcript processing fee. For Express Service, overnight delivery or same day service,
the fee is $20.00 per transcript. Same day service is still available in person only. Fees can be paid with either AMEX, MC, Visa or Discover. Payments by check and money order must be made by mail. Cash is in-person only.
To order you login in to SOLAR at http://www.stonybrook.edu/solarsystem and go to "Request Official Transcript" under Academic Records. (If you were a student prior to
2001 and do not know your new Stony Brook ID click on "Find Stony Brook ID". ) Follow the directions on the site. There will be three processing options:
To have your request processed normally select "Immediate Processing". Transcript processing may take 5-7 business days. If you need to have your transcript held for your degree select "Degree Confer Date" and appropriate term. If you need to have your transcript held until semester grades are posted select "Grade Posting" and the appropriate term .