Department of Technology and Society
The Department of Technology and Society is an integral part of the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Through our academic programs and sponsored projects, the Department of Technology and Society has enhanced the technological literacy and educational opportunities of thousands of students. We have also provided university, regional, and national leadership in educational innovation and STS (Science, Technology and Society) curriculum development. Our courses and curriculum materials are used in many secondary schools and colleges. Our Faculty members and Project staff share a common goal of designing and implementing programs to help students of all ages become technologically literate with equal access to educational opportunities. This shared vision translates into instructional and research programs that:
- Encourage undergraduate students to explore the design of technological systems and their societal and environmental impacts.
- Involve graduate students in educational computing, and environmental and global industrial management
- Engage K-12 students and their teachers in the study of how mathematical and scientific concepts are applied to the design of technological systems and provide effective professional development of teachers in regional K-12 school districts.
- Motivate and better prepare minority students to succeed in science, mathematics, and engineering studies.
- Focus on the innovative and effective use of information technologies.
- Develop leadership in offering courses and certificate programs through distance learning environments.