Home > Hazardous Waste
The mission of the Waste Management Group is to ensure the proper and safe management (generation, treatment, storage and disposal) of hazardous wastes at Stony Brook University, while applying the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)'s hierarchy of waste minimization: reduce, reuse, and recycle. In addition, the group ensures compliance with federal, state and local regulations on proper handling of hazardous wastes.
Chemical Waste Disposal Manifests
In an effort to reduce paper wastes, EH&S is providing this fillable PDF of the Chemical Waste Disposal Manifest for completing and printing Chemical Waste Disposal Manifests. These can be completed and saved electronically, reducing the burden on labs for maintaining paper copies. Just complete this form and print 1 copy to bring with your waste to the waste collection.
Waste Management Services
The following is a list of all the services provided by the group:
- Advise on proper handling of hazardous wastes.
- Conduct daily scheduled hazardous waste pick ups from all facilities.
- Audit and inspect laboratories and facilities that generate hazardous wastes.
- Implement waste minimization as required by the EPA and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) through various programs.
- Respond and provide technical support during hazardous materials incidents.
- Actively participate as members of the Hazardous Materials Team.
- Report waste management activities to authorities such as the DEC and the Suffolk County Department of Public Works (SCDPW).
For more information on proper Hazardous Chemical Waste Management, download the handout developed by the Hazardous Waste Management Group at SUNY Stony Brook designed to assist hazardous waste generators on campus comply with applicable regulatory requirements.