Home > Training
EH&S provides training on a wide-range of safety, health and environmental topics, including laboratory safety, hazardous waste, radiation safety, personal protective equipment (PPE), and other occupational and general safety topics. Many of these courses are required, either initially or annually, by federal or State safety and environmental regulations.
- EH&S Classroom Training
- EH&S schedules and conducts classroom training routinely for many of the required courses. Use the links below to learn more about the courses, and the requirements to attend, and to view the schedule for classes.
- » View the Course List, Descriptions and Course Material «
- » View the Class Schedule and Register to Take a Class «
- NEW! EH&S On-line Training!
- EH&S is now offering training courses on-line through the Blackboard e-Education platform. Taking the courses on-line provides the same "credit" that you get when you attend the "live" classroom version. The on-line course can also be used to review the course material after you have taken the live class, or to take the annual refresher course, when required.
- » View the Courses that are Available On-line
- Employee Training
- Supervisors and PI's are responsible for ensuring that each new employee, whether temporary or permanent, attend new employee orientation programs and receives appropriate safety training at the start of employment.
- Supervisors and PI's are also responsible for ensuring that all of their employees receive the necessary safety training based on the work that their employees perform.
- Laboratory Safety Training
- There are several classes that you need to take if you work in a laboratory. These classes are determined by the work you are doing and the materials you may be exposed to. Review the Training Summary in the Laboratory Safety section: http://www.stonybrook.edu/ehs/lab/training/ to determine which classes you need.
- Responsibility for Safety
- Department chairs, heads of offices, directors of programs, laboratory directors, principal investigators, managers, supervisors, etc. are responsible for the health and safety of employees engaged in activities under their direction or supervision. They must ensure that their employees comply with all relevant regulations and accepted standards and that work activities are performed in a safe and considerate manner.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- OSHA requires each supervisor to assess the hazards of the work area(s) to determine the type of protective equipment needed and to provide training and enforce its use.
- Accident and Injury Reporting
- It is the supervisor's responsibility to report all accidents or injuries that occur to their employees while at work.
- Additional training classes, on-site and/or off-shift training courses can be scheduled by calling EH&S at (631) 632-6410.
- Your employee ID number will be needed for administrative purposes.
- Turning off all radios and cell phones prior to the start of class is required.
- Course registration is not required unless otherwise stated. For assistance registering for a class, please call (631) 632-6410